Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for dusty but dry basement?

Posted by allie_san (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 12:03

My 1911 Victorian cottage in northern Michigan has a very dusty basement! I fought off the cobwebs and dust about 2 years ago and it didn't hold for more than a few months. I think the dust is coming from the lime mortar & stone foundation and from between the plank floorboards overhead.

I'd like to paint the whole thing white with a grey floor, but could use some guidance on what products to use/avoid. It sounds like a product like Dry-Lok isn't suggested because it doesn't allow the foundation to breathe on both sides. I haven't had any leak issues, other than a little weeping one week that dumped rain.

It's mostly stone foundation with some areas that have concrete block half-walls (I'm guessing they were added at some point to support the original walls). Overhead is just floor joists/subfloor and mechanical systems, but fairly low ceiling.

The space is used for storage, so the goal is just cleaner looking and less dusty - not trying to make a finished basement.

And also, any suggestions to evict the spiders? ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for dusty but dry basement?

Probably mostly from between the plank floorboards.

Using a classic whitewash on the walls would seal them and let them breathe. Tacking up something to trap the dust coming from the floor above is the only way to stop that problem. Any tight-woven fabric would do.

o

I agree with lazygardens about the likely source. I would just screw sheetrock to the joists...doesn't even need to be taped unless you want it to look more finished.

o

Overkill, but while you are at it, you could slap a layer of foam board insulation or a radiant barrier onto the basement ceiling. Could control dust and add heating efficiency.

I know in the army at one point they oiled the floors of barracks...the oil stopped dust from getting airborne and significantly lowered rates of respiratory problems. Not an aesthetically appealing solution, but it would help.

Change the filters on the heating systems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here