Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using polyiso board for attic insulation?

Posted by chipster_2007 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 9, 08 at 11:54

I am looking for any info re using polyiso board to insulate the floor of my attic instead of fiberglass. It seems to have a great R value, better than I could obtain with fiberglass.I live in the northeast, MA. I am concerned re what building practices and recommendations are esp with respect to fire retardency and insulation procedures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using polyiso board for attic insulation?

The MA building code says:

"5314.2.3 Attics and Crawlspaces. Within attics
and crawl-spaces where entry is made only for
service of utilities, foam plastics shall be
protected against ignition by 1 1/2-inch-thick (38
mm) mineral fiber insulation, 1/4-inch-thick (6.4
mm) wood structural panels, 3/8-inch (9.5 mm)
particleboard, 1/4-inch (6.4 mm) hardboard,
3/8-inch (9.5 mm) gypsum board, or corrosion-
resistant steel having a base metal thickness of
0.016 inch (0.406 mm)."

The advantage of fiberglass and cellulose (other than price) is that they can more easily be installed to fill the spaces between the attic floor joists.

Here is a link that might be useful: MA one & two family building code

o

Thanks Mightyanvil for the info. My hope in using the polyiso would be to obtain a much higher r value than using either cellulose or fiberglass. Would the ceiling from below and the floorboards that are now on the floor in the attic be sufficient to meet the building code requirements? Also, what qualifies as mineral fiber insulation? You are right that using cellulose would be ideal if only the r value was higher. Thanks

o

"Wood structural panels" means plywood or OSB sheets rather than boards but if they are t&g you might be able to get away with it.

I don't understand how you would be able to tightly fill the attic joist bays with foam boards. I would use sprayed closed-cell polyurethane foam to get maximum R value and an air barrier. Can you insulate the rafters too?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here