Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clawfoot Tub with or without handheld shower?

Posted by doingygirl (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 19, 08 at 11:46

We are just about done with a total gut job of our 1890 brownstone. Our master bathroom now has a separate glass enclosed shower and reclaimed clawfoot tub. I now need to order the plumbing parts for the clawfoot tub and am debating
if I should order a faucet with a hand held shower to make the tub easier to clean or just order a faucet without the hand held shower. By only having the faucet I may have more room in the tub and the hand held shower would be one less thing to worry about tarnishing or scratching the faucet finish. Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clawfoot Tub with or without handheld shower?

I'm getting a hand held for mine - not only for the cleaning but because I actually enjoy using it! Even without a shower curtain I use it (and try not to make a mess) for "sit down showers." Or to "shower" to get clean before soaking in the tub. It's not a huge price difference so I say get it. :-)

o

I would not even consider not getting a hand held shower. As you mentioned cleaning it is easier, and washing your hair without the shower is not even close to being fun.

o

My claw tub has a tall goose neck faucet so sticking my head under to wash hair is very easy - no need for a hand held shower.

If I had a handheld shower I'd want the type that you can switch off from faucet to hand held shower - otherwise it would be a p.i.t.a. to fill the tub via the handheld shower, would want to have the option of using the faucet.

o

Thanks for the responses everyone!!

Kashka kat- I'm glad you mentioned about the on/off from the hand held to the faucet. Details like that are good to know before I order everything.

o

I am not 100% sure...but I personally have not seen a modern faucet without such a handle or lever to direct the water to either hand shower or regular tub spigot.

o

"I am not 100% sure...but I personally have not seen a modern faucet without such a handle or lever to direct the water to either hand shower or regular tub spigot"

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage faucets w/hand showers

o

I have one with the hand held shower and it is great!

o

I love mine!

Makes washing kids quick and easy too :)

o

Thanks everyone for all the insightful responses! You've confirmed my decision to purchase the handheld along with the faucet.

o

Just a note from the dark side: We have a small antique tub with just the original faucet, no shower head. Yup, it's a pain.

What we have to have in the bathroom is a jug (we have a standard plastic juice jug) that we use to rinse the tub. So no matter how pretty my bathroom (and it isn't, yet), I'm always going to have to find a place for that jug - and the jug is almost always being put away wet (whether we scoop retreating bathwater to rinse the tub, or fill from faucet and rinse, the jug usually gets wet). So consider the space given to the hand-held to be in lieu of the jug. Plus, you have to clean the jug from time to time.

So you're saving space AND time AND mess. Trust me on this!

KarinL

o

Since you have a separate shower, I'd say go without the hand-held attachment. I don't think you'll be taking actual baths in the tub too often once you realize how much water it will use...and cleaning isn't that hard using a brush and a quart jug of water from the tub faucet.
Save the money and use it on something else, like a cup and toothbrush holder, or a soap rack, or a nice wooden lid for your commode.

o

I have a hand held shower attachment in my clawfoot tub and love it. I now am getting a circular rod to be able to take a stand-up shower. Any one have any ideas of how to mount the hand held attachment to the circular rod? If I buy a good quality circular rod without the vertical rigid diverter pipe and shower head, it costs like $300. with the diverter pipe and shower head, it's $800. I want to save money and use what I already have. any ideas?

o

I have two claw foot tubs and finally have a hand shower for both. I did my time without, trust me. After thirty years of cleaning claw foot tubs without, I'm not going back.

I wash my hair in the shower but for many a year, I relied on a small claw foot spigot with a rubber hose whose adaptor I had to special order. It worked just as well but I was a frequent buyer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here