Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doingygirl_gw

Clawfoot Tub with or without handheld shower?

doingygirl
15 years ago

We are just about done with a total gut job of our 1890 brownstone. Our master bathroom now has a separate glass enclosed shower and reclaimed clawfoot tub. I now need to order the plumbing parts for the clawfoot tub and am debating

if I should order a faucet with a hand held shower to make the tub easier to clean or just order a faucet without the hand held shower. By only having the faucet I may have more room in the tub and the hand held shower would be one less thing to worry about tarnishing or scratching the faucet finish. Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (13)

• kpaquette
    15 years ago

I'm getting a hand held for mine - not only for the cleaning but because I actually enjoy using it! Even without a shower curtain I use it (and try not to make a mess) for "sit down showers." Or to "shower" to get clean before soaking in the tub. It's not a huge price difference so I say get it. :-)

• tyguy
    15 years ago

I would not even consider not getting a hand held shower. As you mentioned cleaning it is easier, and washing your hair without the shower is not even close to being fun.

• doingygirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the responses everyone!!

Kashka kat- I'm glad you mentioned about the on/off from the hand held to the faucet. Details like that are good to know before I order everything.

• tyguy
    15 years ago

I am not 100% sure...but I personally have not seen a modern faucet without such a handle or lever to direct the water to either hand shower or regular tub spigot.

• abnorm
    15 years ago

"I am not 100% sure...but I personally have not seen a modern faucet without such a handle or lever to direct the water to either hand shower or regular tub spigot"

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage faucets w/hand showers

• buddy1114
    15 years ago

I have one with the hand held shower and it is great!

• Frizzle
    15 years ago

I love mine!

Makes washing kids quick and easy too :)

• doingygirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the insightful responses! You've confirmed my decision to purchase the handheld along with the faucet.

• karinl
    13 years ago

Just a note from the dark side: We have a small antique tub with just the original faucet, no shower head. Yup, it's a pain.

What we have to have in the bathroom is a jug (we have a standard plastic juice jug) that we use to rinse the tub. So no matter how pretty my bathroom (and it isn't, yet), I'm always going to have to find a place for that jug - and the jug is almost always being put away wet (whether we scoop retreating bathwater to rinse the tub, or fill from faucet and rinse, the jug usually gets wet). So consider the space given to the hand-held to be in lieu of the jug. Plus, you have to clean the jug from time to time.

So you're saving space AND time AND mess. Trust me on this!

KarinL

• columbusguy1
    13 years ago

Since you have a separate shower, I'd say go without the hand-held attachment. I don't think you'll be taking actual baths in the tub too often once you realize how much water it will use...and cleaning isn't that hard using a brush and a quart jug of water from the tub faucet.
    Save the money and use it on something else, like a cup and toothbrush holder, or a soap rack, or a nice wooden lid for your commode.

• mmayerct
    10 years ago

I have a hand held shower attachment in my clawfoot tub and love it. I now am getting a circular rod to be able to take a stand-up shower. Any one have any ideas of how to mount the hand held attachment to the circular rod? If I buy a good quality circular rod without the vertical rigid diverter pipe and shower head, it costs like $300. with the diverter pipe and shower head, it's $800. I want to save money and use what I already have. any ideas?

• golddust
    10 years ago

I have two claw foot tubs and finally have a hand shower for both. I did my time without, trust me. After thirty years of cleaning claw foot tubs without, I'm not going back.

I wash my hair in the shower but for many a year, I relied on a small claw foot spigot with a rubber hose whose adaptor I had to special order. It worked just as well but I was a frequent buyer.