Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katied466

Just purchased... and what is this thing??

katied466
10 years ago

Hello!

I just purchased a 1933 bungalow and am in the process of cleaning it up before we move my family in in several weeks. The previous owners lived there for about 2.5 years and seemed to have their hands full with it, to put things kindly. Unfortunately, I was so busy trying to clean while my husband was pulling coax cable out (thanks, previous owners, for drilling holes in every wall and leaving hanging cable) I didn't have time to think about taking detailed pictures, and for that I'm very sorry. So, I ask your great breadth of knowledge my first of many questions to come...

In a couple of closets I found medal bars stuck thru the floor and into the crawl space (I assume). The bars are about 18 inches long, 3/4 inch in diameter, and are bent at the top to have a handle to pull them up. In one closet the bar slides out easily and the pointed bottom inch or so of the bar appears to have moist dirt/soil on it. The other bar in the other closet feels firmly in place. Does anyone have any idea from my description what these are and what, if any function they have? The closets are in what will be kids rooms (my kids are 5 years and 7 months old, firmly in the "they're not going to leave that alone" age window). I'm wondering if I can pull the bars and cap the holes, or if there's a function that needs to be preserved, in which case I need to child safe them. I was able to ask the previous owner what he knew, he said he never noticed the bars.

I'm really sorry I didn't get pictures, I hope my description isn't terrible. It will be a few weeks at least before I can get back to the house, we're in the process of a very slow move in across states. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Comments (20)

• kayjones
    10 years ago

I would call a realtor or home inspector and see if they know.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Pull the bars, whittle a plug, glue and drive it in the hole, cut it off flush and forget about it.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Lovely house!

I would want to solve the mystery. I am like the OP - too much intellectual curiosity to just forget about it.

Take a photo when you get into the house and come back and post again.

"Never noticed them"????? Hard to believe.

• homebound
    10 years ago

"Never noticed them." An answer like that begs further investigation. Let the police have a look.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

A picture would be nice ...

Sounds like a grounding rod for an antique radio's antenna, used in rooms where there was no easy access to a pipe to clamp the ground wire to.

OR (cue the spooky music) used where an external antenna or ground wire would attract unwanted attention ... spies used them.

• mxyplx
    10 years ago

Wow man! Like far out! I mean uh er you know like (wow) crawl unner da house?

• katied466
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"I would call a realtor or home inspector and see if they know."

We've asked our Realtor and handyman, no luck.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

How about the previous owner.

• booklikeabook
    10 years ago

Water valves?

• booklikeabook
    10 years ago

Gas valves?

• booklikeabook
    10 years ago

Gas valves?

• katied466
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They're not valves, they don't appear in any way attached to anything, just stuck thru the holes in the floor. I think they're made out of bent rebar and the holes are square.

I do intend to pull them out and cap the holes, but I want to make sure there's no function I'm unaware of (and I'm admittedly in the realm of I don't know what I don't know). I'll keep searching and post pictures when I can, but it may be a couple of weeks.

• booklikeabook
    10 years ago

I thought perhaps they were handles that control valves under the house. It would be a handy thing come to think of it. I have a crawlspace that is not very crawlable. Really, I'd have to go to the curb and turn off the water to the house if a pipe burst, or if a faucet washer needed changing.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Maybe someone was trying to figure out their bearings when they were crawling under the house and these were markers for where they were in relation to the rooms.

• katied466
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Maybe someone was trying to figure out their bearings when they were crawling under the house and these were markers for where they were in relation to the rooms."

Hmmm... That might be. We might just need to take the under the house tour. ("We" might be my husband.")

• mxyplx
    10 years ago

"and the holes are square"

That's really odd. Kind of tough to push square holes thru.

• homebound
    10 years ago

Maybe there was a safe or strong box, and somehow it was secured to the floor with them? Wonder if there's another part that clamps onto them lying in the crawlspace.

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

I am more concerned by the fact that you pull up the bar and it having moist soil. Maybe it is because I live in California but I have been told there should be nothing moist under the house.

• toxcrusadr
    10 years ago

A decent ground rod for radio use should be driven into the ground, not merely sitting on top. So that's out.

Can't imagine why something that large with a hole to match would be used as a locator when they were crawling around, altho the idea itself is a good one. And who would bother making a square hole instead of just drilling a round one?

Possibly there were these square holes for some other reason, and someone had some handy pieces of scrap metal to plug them with...

Or, they were pokers to chase off varmints from under the house? LOL

• rs100
    10 years ago

Sounds like a vent system for the crawl, or maybe a pipes from a heating system.