Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosenbarn

'32 Cottage, copper color roof or not?? Anybody else seen one?

rosenbarn
13 years ago

We have a 1932 1200+/-sf cottage type home we're trying to 'modernize' but keep it old looking at the same time. We're building a huge 2-story covered deck (metal roof) overlooking the creek in our backyard and decided to tear up the shingles on the house and just do the roof all over the house. Hoping to get an opinion out of some of you all; would like to go with a Native Copper color metal roof over the house. House is beige/yellow vinyl siding, getting ready to also flagstone the bottom walls of the house with grey, blue, peache rocks. There's no other homes near or around here (within 2 hour drive) that has this color roof. Does anybody else know of or has seen a regular house with this color roof? Need to make a decision quickly, as we need to order it.

Comments (11)

• rosenbarn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, thought it would be better to attach a picture to see the basics of the house (and if color would look good with it)
    [.img]http://www.thepresnells.net/images/deck6.jpg[./img]

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• fanner
    13 years ago

We just put a copper color steel roof on our house last summer. It is a 1904 Queen Anne style and here is a picture:

[URL=http://img526.imageshack.us/i/1009141q.jpg/][IMG]http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9417/1009141q.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

If that doesn't work try this...

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9417/1009141q.jpg

I don't know why my links are acting funny lately.

It was a bold move on this (relative to the neighborhood)huge house but we LOVE it! Lots of compliments, so I guess we made the right decision. Let us know what you decide!

• User
    13 years ago

We have a stucco cottage which we hope to roof with a standing seam metal product in a year or two. I too am leaning toward copper.

I have not seen a home done in the copper, but our neighborhood post office has a real copper roof, and it is gorgeous. Of course, when they replace any panels, it begins with that new-penny color, and over time turns the verdigris color. I'm not familiar with the roofing material you mention, but I find the beginning color of copper a really wonderful tone.

In about a month, we will be choosing a metal roof for our old garage, and that means house and garage decisions must be made. I'll be watching what happens in your home.

• fanner
    13 years ago

Here is a link to the company that we went with. It has a lot of photo's of homes done with various color steel roofs. Maybe you could get some ideas there. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Standing seam roofs

• rosenbarn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ms. Richards: I LOVE your house!! I'd bet it looks more like a gingerbread house in winter?? You can tell a lot of pride, effort and love goes into it! Well, we decided to go with the copper roof and love, love, love! the way it turned out as well. The color seems to change during the day, which I like. I agree, it is a bold move. But VERY worth it to have a one-of-a-kinder. A whole lot of rubber-necking from passersby when we put it on (ourselves). Another link to how it turned out can be found at http://www.thepresnells.net/house2.JPG

Here is a link that might be useful:

• fanner
    13 years ago

rosenbarn, your house looks amazing!! The new roof adds so much character ~ what a great move. Did the tree come down to help with the view of the new addition ;) And thankyou for the kind words. A labor of love, but it is so satisfying to pull up to at the end of a long day as I am sure you can relate. I'm glad you went the copper route, and you must be so proud to say you were able to do it yourselves!

• rosenbarn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the compliment!! I knew I was always liked old houses, but never really thought anything about it when we bought this one (didn't know it's true age at the time). Having an old house sort of feels like old coin collecting ~ and it starts an obsession. Anything we've done to the house, we've done ourselves. Lucky my husband has a knack for learning new things. Anyways, the huge Poplar came down right before we did the roof. 20 feet from the front of our house, 9 feet in circumference, 80 feet tall meant it should/had to come down. I felt sort of sick about it at first because it was healthy, but I'd like to find some life out of the whole scenario. I'm trying to sweet talk hubby into getting a few logs to a saw mill and let them cut a few thick slabs for a one-of-a-kind wood countertops. He says that's pushing it over the edge and afraid it would be ugly (like he thought the roof would be). =)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

A bright metallic copper roof would not be seen in nature, because it would tarnish green or brown. Bright orange roofs will always evoke HoJo's for me.
    Casey

• worthy
    13 years ago

Mrsrichards home

• rosenbarn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Very, very nice. I LOVE the color! NOTHING like a HoJo's (I had to Google it to see what it meant ~ Howard Johnsons). Nothing about these copper colored roofs nowdays are 'orange' at all. Very Nice, Worthy (and Ms.Richards' house)