Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replace, repair or leave alone?

Posted by graywings (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 10:56

This is the door sill for the front of my 1919 house. The square nails lead me to to believe it's the original wood sill. If this were your house, would you replace it?

If replacing it is a bad idea from an old house point of view, then what? I could do a credible job of filling in the cracks and missing areas with wood filler, but doubt I could stain it well enough to pass for wood. I'm thinking of just leaving it as is, staining and topcoating with a sealer. I have adjusted the door so it isn't rubbing the wood.

(I scraped the paint off the threshhold at the top of the photo. The paint plan calls for that to be painted green to match the door frame, but if I can get all the paint off, I might stain and clearcoat it.)

Door sill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replace, repair or leave alone?

Well, if you're asking what I would do...I would replace it.

However, you seem to like the idea of staining it and keeping a bit of the old house. I think that's a great idea and the square nails will be a real conversation piece. If it's still functional, why not? :)

o

There's nothing wrong with the sill that a little tlc won't fix--so I'd keep it and stain it. As for the threshold--that should not be painted to match the frame, it should match the porch floor.

o

When I bought my house some of my sills had been replaced with modern machine cut oak sills. My carpenter was doing some work and ended up milling new sills out of some beautiful maple for me. My house has oak floors, poplar trim, but original maple sills. I love the way he did it; I had to stain them to match the old carefully, but now you can't tell the difference between old and new. The modern sills were so out of place.

But, if I could patch that corner with wood putty reasonably well, I'd keep it. There are a lot of lousy putties out there; I've had reasonable luck on small jobs with JB weld Kwikwood, and on larger projects, ConServ products (but that's a lotta $$$ for such a small patch, and I don't think you need to pay the big bucks for the performance characteristics of the conserv for an indoor application.)

I like the look of a well-executed repair. I remember touring castles and mansions in Europe where things were carefully maintained or repaired instead of replaced; to me, it just contributed to the antique feel of the building, but in a cozy, not decrepit, way.

o

I don't see anything wrong with the sill but I'd paint it instead of trying to stain it. Chances are there will always be bits of old paint showing through any stain that you do.

The threshhold is a toss up but I'd probably keep it. My exterior ones were worn so thin my husband trashed them when he initially installed a temporary door for security but my interior ones looked very similar to yours prior to floor finishing. Now they're beautiful but still worn in keeping with the house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here