Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
And you thought *your* kitchen was tiny...

Posted by rosemaryt (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 28, 09 at 10:07

Found this in a 1925 architectural magazine. And yes, that's a fridge under the drain board.

Photobucket

And can you say "L I A B I L I T Y"? Look at this tub!!! One false move and it's over. Yikes.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: A lawsuit waiting to happen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: And you thought *your* kitchen was tiny...

Great kitchen and water hazard stories and photos!

But we've gone lots more compact since then.

Here is a link that might be useful: Compact Kitchens

o

Thanks for my laugh of the day. I especially got goosebumps at the last picture. Cooking elements are 220 Volt. ohhhhhhh

o

I swear to you that last "kitchen" is exactly like the one I had in our apt in West Germany in 1984 when my DH and I lived there. I used that kitchen for a year and even cooked our 1st Thanksgiving with it (gave a 7lb turkey CPR to break its ribs and stuffed it in a toaster oven for hours!)

Always ;-)
Hunzi

o

LOLOL. I know how that goes. I've cooked in similar kitchens in the U.K. and France. The one in France, however, was ancient and the fixtures larger. Big, cast-iron farm sink. Not a counter or cabinet in the whole room. You supplied your own. The one in England, my kid's kitchen was sort of like an American kitchen, only everything was in miniature, including the baking tins. You manage, and you turn out some good food.

The real fun was my folks' kitchen in Japan. We did not have a modern hot water heater. Every morning a fellow they contracted to tend it came in and started a charcoal fire under it. You planned your baths carefully. Very carefully.

o

Cooking elements are 220 Volt.

According to the specs, they are 115 volt.

In any case, 50 milliamperes is enough to cause fibrilation and death.

A GFCI is a must.

o

That surprises me. 115 isn't typical, but would make a unit like that more versatile as far as installations. It would be like cooking on a hotplate. come to think of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here