Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kruegesm

Next week our old floors are finally being redone

kruegesm
10 years ago

We have been working on our kitchen for about a year now. We had 3 layers of vinyl removed and one was asbestos. Now the kitchen floor and dining room- (can't afford the other rooms at this time) are going to be redone.

Here is a picture of the old maple floors in the kitchen and the dining room floor that was refinished 26 years ago.

Comments (20)

• sapphire6917
    10 years ago

WOW!! I can't wait to see the 'after' pictures!! What kind of finish are you going with? I'm going to be getting mine done in about three or four months and I'm having a hard time selecting what I want to use. I hear the water based polys are better because they dry faster and don't smell as much. However, I'm also told that the oil based polys wear better in the long run and are better for me because I want a high gloss finish. I'm sure I'll figure it out before it's time.

Good luck and I'm sure you are so excited to finally be getting them done!

• kruegesm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Progress! The sanding is almost done. He is going to use Bona Mega. This is the kitchen so far!

• kruegesm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The dining room so far:

• kruegesm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kitchen before sanding

This post was edited by kruegesm on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 8:52

• kruegesm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found out they will use a Drifast sealer by Bona- oil-modified quick-dry sealer; then the water based Bona Mega. He said the combo lasts a long time and looks great@

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

My they cleaned up great

• sapphire6917
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info and those floors look great!! You've got to be so pleased!

• kruegesm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! Here is one more close up before from the kitchen

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

I am so jealous! Our kitchen floors were that bad, but couldn't be salvaged because of water stains and black/rust that couldn't be sanded out. I finally gave up and 'm putting vinyl down this weekend. :-(

• kruegesm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We do have one water spot where it is darker...I cannot get a picture of that yet. The pictures are of the kitchen and dining room and they have 2 coats of Bona amber sealer on. Tomorrow 2 coats of Bona Mega floor finish will go on.

The picture isnt the greatest...

• kruegesm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kitchen

• kruegesm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the floor in the kitchen was put in , in the late 1800's or very early 1900's and the dining room in the 1920's--living room then too but I cannot do all the floors---at one time---have to save more money! LOL

The dining room has less coloration- higher quality but I love the character of the kitchen too...both are maple

• nickel_kg
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! from looking at the first pictures with all those black marks, I never would have thought they could clean up so good -- but they did! wonderful job!

• kruegesm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dining room wood slightly newer- from the 1920's

• vjrnts
    10 years ago

Wow! They look new. Great job, really, and worth all the time and effort you put into saving them!

• kruegesm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!

• sapphire6917
    10 years ago

Your floors are inspirational! You must be so pleased with the way they turned out! I can't wait to get mine done!

• Acadiafun
    10 years ago

Gorgeous floors. You must be very pleased.

• oldfixer
    10 years ago

Glad to have spotted your post. Someone else had a nasty kitchen floor, and decided to go for the wood. Removing all that black adhesive and residue was the worst part. Quite a challenge, but the results look great. Hope to enjoy for years to come. I just posted my Kitchen Floor Project on the Old House too, if you care to look.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!