Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing mortar from back of encaustic tiles?

Posted by jlc102482 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 9:42

I have four Victorian encaustic tiles that have a lot of mortar stuck to the back of them. The mortar protrudes 3/4" in some places, and since I plan on reinstalling the tiles I can't leave the mortar attached if I'm to have a flat surface. The mortar looks a lot like cement. What would be the best way to remove it without breaking the tiles in the process?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing mortar from back of encaustic tiles?

Carefully. :)

Get a coarse, flat file - a cheap one - lay the tile face down on a piece of foam and start filing.

If you have a dremel or other small high-speed rotating tll, use their abrasive wheels. Practice on a tile or two you don't care about.

o
RE: Removing mortar from back of encaustic tiles?

We have about a million old bricks that we picked up on the cheap, but they came with the mortar. Before we learned that the best way to remove it was with an air chisel, we read quite a few sites via google research that advised soaking in a solution. I don't recall the solution, but you'll find it easily enough by googling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here