Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how long should lumber dry after milling?

Posted by muffler (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 17, 09 at 9:42

We are installing Cape Cod siding on our house, but for the corner boards and skirt board we bought lumber that was just milled, but cut in the summer (a few months ago)
We need to paint or stain both sides of the boards before putting them on. We plan on putting them in a garage with a large fan on them. Does anyone know how long they should dry this way before painting or staining at least the inside of the boards. And what is a good paint or stain to use? Thanks for any input on this from someone who knows more than we do about drying wood.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how long should lumber dry after milling?

It depends on the kind of wood, the moisture content, the relative humidity where it is stored, and how it is stacked. For best paint adherence it's best to have it kiln dried.

o

Air drying is normally a minimum of one year per inch of board thickness, in weather protected stickered piles.

Kiln drying is better and faster.

o

The lumber should have been stacked properly immediately after it was cut. If that was the case and the weather has been good it might already be near 20% MC.

Putting it in an enclosed space to get the MC lower should work with proper ventilation but the major issue is that it might have already dried too fast and checked.

Here is a link that might be useful: wood drying info

o

Thanks for your replies. The type of wood is pine and it was stacked right after being cut. It is indoors and what we ended up doing was tarping it and putting a dehumidifier in with it. It is dry with a little heat in the building so hoping that works. Thanks again!

o

Wood moves a fairly large amount from green to even air dry, let alone oven dry.

You can cut a small piece of wood. weight it (you need at least a postal type scale) and then dry it in the oven and weigh it again.

The weight loss is the water.

The percent is defined as the water lost divided by the dry weight of the wood.

It can be over 100% for green wood since the water can weigh more than the dry wood.

o

Your post reminds me of a mistake I made years ago with some ancient Nova Scotia white pines logs I had, muffler. After having it sawn, I rented a garage and carefully stacked and stickered the whole lot with dreams of having beautiful wide boards the following year to panel my new house.

Something didn't seem right when I came back in eight or nine months to take it to the planer. Seemed to be a dampness about it. As I worked down into the stack, my worry turned to horror as board after board had turned into mold farms, with slimy discoloration all over all but the ends.

I forget how much I lost, but the moral is keep your eye on it once in a while. Don't make the foolish mistake I did ignoring the importance of proper circulation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here