Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kindred_ny

No attic access

kindred_ny
13 years ago

I need advice. I bought my home a year and a half ago. It's a 1916 colonial style (I think) with a small crawl space above the 2nd floor living area. The bedrooms in the back and the closets in the front have sloped ceilings in the rooms, following the roof line.There is a crawl space down the center of the home, above the hallway,bathroom, and master bedroom. I have NO attic access anywhere except from the vents in the front and back near the peak of the roof. I don't think the attic is insulated, since the upstairs gets mighty cold(we use space heaters in the bathroom when we shower because it's so cold). I'm afraid to open the attic inside the house (in an upstairs ceiling) as we had bats this summer and I don't know what else might be living up there.But I want to see what the situation is and insulate if there is none.What would be the best insulation to use, and should I go through the ceiling or through the vents? I'm a single Mom, and money is definitely a factor! Any suggestions?

Comments (6)