Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingeorgia

Flooring Choices in 1900 era home

ingeorgia
16 years ago

This house has some beautiful heart pine floors and some not so beautiful. What would be acceptable flooring to put into this era house besides wood?

any suggestions are appreciated...I am particularly wanting something for the entry way.

thanks!

Comments (8)

• wangshan
    16 years ago

My 1903 house has small little tiles (maybe 1 inch at most) in the foyer and LR sunroom and in the kitchen we tore out among other floors a linoleum in a very intricate pattern in 1/2 inch tiles ..in light and dark gold and black with red accents it was actually pretty cool. I don't know if the linoleum was original but it was pretty old.

• jegr
    16 years ago

The linoleum could have been original! The scale is right for the early 1900's.
    You can consider ceramic tile for your entry way, also laid in an intricate pattern called 'encaustic tile'. The tiles are about 2"x2" set with a dark border. They are available today. You could use an 'oriental' area rug (they were often called Axminster or Belgium - I think the name refers to the looms used) with a border and flowers in the middle. You could also use slate or quarry tile or even sisal. It depends upon the style and sophistication of your house and your preferences.

The best book for reference is 'Floor Coverings for Historic Buildings' Von Rosensteil and Winkler, Preservation Press, 1988. Or try to find a copy ( library loan?) of 'Elements of Style', Calloway and Cromley, Editors, Simon and Schuster. I have the 1991 edition; there are be others.

• ingeorgia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you .. I am wanting tile but wasn't sure it would be appropriate. The house is not a grand one and has a bit of a split personality...it couldn't decide if it wanted to be Victorian,Edwardian or Craftsman so is a bit of all three.
    there were brown and beige subway type tiles in the kitchen (removed by PO) and we have them in the garage. Now I am thinking I might use those...
    I appreciate the references and will try to find them.

• jegr
    16 years ago

See if you can find pictures of the work of William Morris, and Voysey, English architects who championed Arts and Crafts and a version of Art Nouveau. Also MacIntosh, a Scotsman. They fit your description of your split personality house.
    If you can find interiors of Saint-Gauden's summer house in Cornish, NH, now a National Hist. Site, that might be useful, as it is a low key artistic place that also fits your description. And you might look at how Maxfield Parrish puts stuff together - same era!
    They were neighbors in the Cornich summer colony.

• kimkitchy
    16 years ago

I love the pictures in this brochure. Some of them are pretty elaborate, but there are simpler patterns too. HTH.

We also have a hybrid house. The overall "shape" is clearly a bungalow (1 1/2 story, oriental hat roof, porch) but the details are victorian (door hardware, decorative gable shingles). Nary a craftsman nor mission element to it. I think these "split personality" houses can be fun because you can do a lot of different things that are still in keeping with the spirit of the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: tile brochure

• ingeorgia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you...those look wonderful. Have to do some more thinking now ...

• jegr
    16 years ago

The tile in the brochure is the 'encaustic tile' I mentioned. I had not seen it with a neutral border. Looks good and has a less formal feel. Please let us know, maybe with pictures, when you decide.

• calliope
    16 years ago

I lived in a house very much to that description in France. Our front hallway was indeed an inlaid tile. The Axminster rugs were named so because of the famous Axminster Carpet Company, still looming carpets, btw, in Axminster, England. My SIL's father used to work for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Axminster Carpet History