Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scryn

anyone install B&B wallpaper themselves?

scryn
15 years ago

Has anyone installed a simple Bradbury and Bradbury wallpaper? I have done wallpaper in three rooms on our c1850 farmhouse and am totally into one of the B&B papers. it would look beautiful in our upstairs hallway.

Installation would be simple for the most part. The bottom half of the wall is wainscotting and I would only paper the top half (maybe 3 feet??) The wallpaper is a "passion flower" wall fill. I wouldn't be installing the frieze or anything.

I have only installed pasted papers.

thanks,

-rj

Comments (8)

• johnmari
    15 years ago

We ended up having an installer come in (the cost of the installer was less than having to reorder because we'd botched the job!) to do ours but I did want to pass along to anyone who didn't know that B&B is having a 10%-off sale until December 31st. Use promotion code BB30. (Does not apply to samples.) 10% is kind of a piddly amount but hey, it's better than nothing.

• mfrog
    15 years ago

I installed wallpaper as well as ceiling paper with borders & corners. You have to handcut everything. If you are a picky, anal, patient person & you can take your time to do the job properly you shouldn't have too much trouble as you have papered before.
    If you're not like that, hire it out.

I dryfit & marked everything out before hand. I bought premixed paste & followed the directions from B&B exactly.

{{!gwi}}

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    15 years ago

I bought premixed paste & followed the directions from B&B exactly.
    If you are a picky, anal, patient person & you can take your time to do the job properly you shouldn't have too much trouble as you have papered before.

If you are the above and follow instructions and use the recommended paste,you should be fine,especially if it is only on the wall and is one paper,be sure to prep properly and use the correct paste.

• scryn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice! That is a beautiful ceiling. It must have made your back and arms tired to install it though! I can't even imagine!

I am very much a perfectionist. I am not the most patient though! that is where my husband comes in. The last paper I installed was about 70 dollars a roll. It was a commercially made paper however it was a copy of a pattern found in a historic house. At first I thought I made a huge mistake (as it is a "shiny" wallpaper and you could see every bubble) My husband told me to let it dry fully and when it did it looked beautiful.

Now, we have plaster walls. I always paint with wallpaper primer first. However, sometimes there are hairline cracks and little bumps I just don't see. I feel them when I put the paper up sometimes. Is this a huge problem for this paper?

Also I have always smoothed the paper by hand and I tend to smooth and fuss too long. I just don't need to be working on one piece for so long. I have always smoothed by hand because I can't find a wallpaper brush that isn't stiff and sharp. Have any of you found a nice, softer brush?

thanks,
    renee

• vjrnts
    15 years ago

Scryn, I'd love to see pictures of your house! In fact, I should just drive out and see it some day, and you can some here and see mine! But pictures would do.

:-)

• scryn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i have some pics at www.reneesgreenhouse.com

I am still updating and haven't posted many pics. There is on pic of the newest wallpaper I did. It is in the dining room. We just finished the downstairs bathroom also. I hope to take pics of that. Also the side bedroom is finished (no pics yet) The summer is so busy! Now that it is getting colder out I should have a lot more time to update the site.

-rj

• mfrog
    15 years ago

scryn;
    The hardest part of any job is the prep, if I were you I would try to get the walls as perfect as possible, fix any of the cracks (small cracks are taken care of easily with caulking) & lightly sand the wall first to get rid of little bumps. Don't muck about too much with the B&B as the colour or gilding can start to get a bit tired.
    It sounds like you can do it, just take your time & follow the directions. Try not to have a deadline. Also B&B seem to send a bit extra. Or they did when Bruce Bradbury owned it, although I can't imagine this has changed.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    15 years ago

Here is a link for the "sweeps" you are looking for

Here is a link that might be useful: sweeps