Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cracked sink basin - can I paint?

Posted by inchworminjersey (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 18, 11 at 8:39

Hi, not sure if I am in the right spot, but here goes: I have an old sink in my bathroom vanity. It is not an antique, just an old cracked sink. It is becoming impossible to keep clean, and as there are many more important things around the house to fix, I was wondering if there is a way to paint flowers or some other design over the cracks that will disguise them in an interesting way, but still be waterproof and last for a year or two until the vanity can be replaced. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cracked sink basin - can I paint?

It's hard to say without more information or pictures...if the cracks are only on the surface, and don't go clear through, then you should be able to fill them and paint for a temporary fix.

What I'm wondering more, is this: if the sink is a separate piece from the countertop, why not just put in a new one without replacing the entire cabinet?

o

There are companies that will "refinish" tubs and sinks. But you also buy paint designed for the same.

Not sure about the idea of painting flowers - what kind of paint were you planning to use?

Here is a link that might be useful: FOR DUMMIES REFINISHING EPOXY KIT

o

You can buy an entire vanity and top at Home Depot for $40. It won't be the best quality, but it's the cheapest solution that will actually work.

o

All good advice...thanks. I did find a few how-to's on the web. They involve a lot of epoxy, etc., but a few looked doable...I'll think on it.

o

Replace it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here