Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinishing White Oak Floors: Stained or Natural?

Posted by marita40 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 19, 10 at 6:07

Did anyhere stain oak floors a darker color? I am torn between going natural or putting down a medium brown stain. If you did stain yours, what color stain did you use? Also, any thoughts on what color the floors might have been stained when they were installed in 1913? Did people leave them natural then? Here's a photo of the current natural color.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinishing White Oak Floors: Stained or Natural?

Natural for sure! I have very rarely seen them stained (beyond maybe a slight amber with polyurethane) in houses that age (ours is 1915, and our dining room looks almost like yours except the built-in is gone now! :)

o

Thanks artemis. Anyone else want to weigh in here? Looking at my photo I realize I love the color and the variation in boards just as they are. What I'm worried about it that refinishing without stain will lighten the floors or turn them that grayish-white of new white oak. My flooring people said they would lighten "somewhat" but not to the extent of my fears. BTW I will be using oil based poly for the amber tones.

o

They will be lighter for a while when newly finished, but will darken with age. My oak floors are rather light, but were covered in carpet for 75 years, perhaps inhibiting some darkening?

Your floors look just like my fir floors on the top floor of my home. I love the variation and the red color- very warm. The floor in my 'office'-bedroom are dark, and I can't wait to refinish them to a lighter color, as they seem to make the room darker.

o

FWIW, the grayish white oak that you see these days is actually a different species---European---so you're covered there. They will lighten a bit after they're sanded, but should darken again with a little time.

o

You can stain them. I have seen them in ipswitch pine or provincial and IMO it gives a nicely toned-down "instant age" look.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here