Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allfiredup_gw

Replacing Wood Shake Roof in Los Angeles area

AllFiredUp
10 years ago

My sister lives in Woodland Hills (Los Angeles County) and her house was built in 1957. It has a wood shake roof that needs to be replaced very soon. LA County Building Code prohibits the use of wood shake/shingle roofing, so I'm trying to determine what the options are and which one will be best for her.

I live in Georgia and the vast majority of homes have Fiberglass Asphalt Shingles. My roof was damaged by a hail & wind storm back in 2009 and the insurance company paid for a full replacement. I decided to pay about $1200 more and upgraded to Architectural Shingles and love the look.

Her house is valued at around $1.2mil with a brick front and all other exterior walls are stucco. Will an asphalt shingle roof look okay in place of the wood shakes? I'm also familiar with some Composite Shake/Shingles that look like wood, but are much more durable, energy-efficient and fire-resistant. But I'm pretty sure it would be cost-prohibitive to consider those.

Her home is one-level, but it's 3,374 square feet and that's a LOT of roof to cover!

Any advice or additional information will be greatly appreciated!

Comments (5)