Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
40' Kitchen Cabinet Vent

Posted by nwkrys (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 21, 10 at 4:06

We are currently refinishing the cabinets in our vintage 40's Cape Cod. As in many kitchens of the day there is a vent on the front of the cabinet below the sink. Often times they were just slits cut in the wood parallel with the floor. Mine however has a lovely oval chrome cover which is in dreadful shape. The cover covers a rectangular hole that was cut in the face below the sink. I would have sworn that Rejuvenation had a reproduction chrome cover a couple of years ago and kick myself for not picking up one then. Does anyone know of a source for new old stock or a reproduction chrome cover?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 40' Kitchen Cabinet Vent

As a last resort, parts can be rechromed. Downdraft vents are very effective when they're in the stove itself, but I wonder if that holds when the vent is in front of the sink.

o

I would definitely call up a plating firm and have them take a look at it. Anything can be re-plated and they probably can (or can put you in touch with someone who can) repair dings or other damage, as long as it is not too bad. Restoring what you have will probably cost less than a reproduction, and I have never seen something like you describe on a sink base cabinet.

Sounds like a great kitchen!

Josh

o

Nwkrys, any way you could post a picture? Not only am I curious to see it, (which I am!), but I "window shop" a lot of online vintage/restoration stores & I'd definately keep an eye open. Heck, I may even have one and not know what it is. (I've got a LOT of antique "stuff", house & all else. long story).
:-)

o

Unfortunatly the grille pieces are cracked and I'm not sure replating is a viable option. I will try to post a picture. The house is our second home at the beach and and I won't get down there before Thanksgiving but will get a photo as soon as possible. I really appreciate your suggestions!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here