Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
columbusguy1

House Pics At Last--Part II

columbusguy1
12 years ago

FIrst off--sorry for the messes evident in some of the pics--fall cleaning starts soon, but I wanted to put up some pics of the kitchen, pantry and bath, and my bedroom. Warning: my kitchen and pantry floors are nasty vinyl tiles done nearly two decades ago, and are past due for replacement--need to find a nice period linoleum pattern I like (and can afford). :) Bath has a few repairs due as a plumbing disaster occurred after it was all done, and a lightning strike shorted out the wiring to the switch in there at nearly the same time!

Win a prize if you can guess how many cats I have from the pics! *

Basement Steps

Side Door:

Duct tape makes a nice weatherstripping! :)

Kitchen: my first attempt at building cabinets after removing 70s formica and plywood, and dropped ceiling with fluorescent lights!

Pantry: all original and under at least four coats of paint (never stained):

Bath:

My Room:

* Number of Cats: 2--Chula was stuffing herself, Bortai was seeing what I was up to!

Comments (29)

• Carol_from_ny
    12 years ago

I had to giggle at the paper towel holder in the kitchen for two reasons. One cause I have one just like it BUT I put it in the bathroom for the boys old bath with two rolls of paper on it and two cause of the paint brush stuck in there...sign of a true house in transition! LOL

• ks_toolgirl
    12 years ago

Ah, crud! Now we're supposed to clean in the fall, TOO? Who's making these rules? Why do they get to add to them, without consulting people? "Democracy", really? (What's next... "winter-cleaning"?).

Love the can opener - that's too cool, by far. And more gorgeous woodwork!

I'm confused, which cabinets did you build? Nothing I see "stands out" as new - & I mean that as a compliment. :-). It all seems to look original, to me.

2 cats... What's my prize?

• columbusguy1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carol, my late uncle made the towel rack in the kitchen, my grandfather made the three shelf corner display in the bathroom.

KS, okay, I say 'fall cleaning' because I skipped Spring Cleaning--and CAN'T skip it a second time. :)

I built all the cabinets in the kitchen photos--it was my first attempt once I found the old doors in the garage. The cabinet in the bath was my second attempt at it, and went much better! Took my model from the pantry cabinets--all stick-built--nothing from a kit. The major difference in MY cabinets was in height--36" is just too freakin' low for someone who is 6'1", so I made the kitchen counter 40" to accomodate the doors.

• karinl
    12 years ago

I use the same weather stripping on some windows! That is a very wonderful stained glass window in that door too.

Love the faucet with the soap dish - my husband won the argument over the faucet purchase and I didn't get the one with the soap dish on top; I regret that often. We made our counters 39" but they don't look as authentic as yours! Did you paint that rope trim on them? I like that. And if I were your mother I WOULD say something about the toaster on the drain tray...

Karin L

• columbusguy1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Karin, got to get pics of the window in the door and the bath in daylight--I must confess that they are not original--I did them using glass paint and liquid leading. :) I did use period patterns though.

The pantry faucet is original, but I don't need to worry about having the toaster on the drainboard as there is no water to that sink! The pipes are rusted through, and have been since before I bought the house...I do want to get them going again, just have to get around to it. The painted pattern in the kitchen was done with a stencil from Michael's.

I had a similar faucet in brass in the kitchen until about a month ago--it was from Renovator's Supply, but I don't recommend their stuff as that faucet pitted and started leaking about six years in--and some glass shades I bought had rims to0 thin to use in a lamp without breaking despite that being what they were designed for.

• slateberry
    12 years ago

More please!

My jaw dropped when you said that you did the bathroom windows yourself! I have looked at the glass paint and liquid lead at Michael's and wondered how it would come out--now I need wonder no more. That is awesome! When you get a chance, can you take a picture of the window backlit with natural light? I'd love to see how that comes out. Also, what sources did you use to find period stained glass patterns? Did you browse salvage stores, or books and websites?

Thank you for the pictures of the pantry. I ogled the hardware in detail. Love the latches and bin pulls of course (especially the latch set on the top edge of the door instead of the side), but those hinges with the three splayed channels--I know I've seen those before, but I can't figure out where. Anybody know a repro source for those? I think they're awesome.

It looks like you have a nice register in your bathroom in the beadboard next to the doorway. We have steam heat, so no registers for me, but I'm trying to think of a creative way to use some anyway--I just love old registers. Maybe turn one into a little inset toilet paper cabinet in the bathroom.

I am always either inspired or learning from your posts--thanks for sharing the photos. I keep saying to myself that I should put up a house tour for my gw friends--kudos to you for getting a round tuit!

• ks_toolgirl
    12 years ago

I also love the rope stencils - they add to the authentic look you've managed to pull-off beautifully!

Meant to ask - the floral arrangement, above your headboard... Is that painted? If so, did you do that also? Regardless - you are an artist, with the painted glass, stencils-that-don't-look-like-stencils, etc.

I just figured out my problem... My "tuit" is shaped like a parallelogram! I need to find a round one. Where did you get yours?
    ;-)

• ks_toolgirl
    12 years ago

I also love the rope stencils - they add to the authentic look you've managed to pull-off beautifully!

Meant to ask - the floral arrangement, above your headboard... Is that painted? If so, did you do that also? Regardless - you are an artist, with the painted glass, stencils-that-don't-look-like-stencils, etc.

I just figured out my problem... My "tuit" is shaped like a parallelogram! I need to find a round one. Where did you get yours?
    ;-)

• columbusguy1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A few more pics--the painted windows, some family pics...and the house my great-grandfather built--still standing, but the huge porch is gone, alas. Never been in that house since it is no longer in the family...is up near Cardington Ohio.
    Door Window:

Bath Window:

Kitchen Transom: design traced from front transom--worked out exactly with one set of leaves removed!:

Family Pics: Great-great-grandfather and others in top center, Great-grandfather and grandmother in lower center, grand-father and -mother in lower left--other misc. family:

Father's aunts, uncles and misc. relatives, plus house:

Greatgrandfather's House: (about 1914?):

Front Parlor Window:

Parlor Light:

Dining Room Light (shade matched Parlor until broken by p.0. a year before I bought the house:

Hall Light:

On the glass paints: the red fades if exposed to too much light, as does the yellow...for some reason, the blue and green don't seem to fade at all. Gallery Glass was the brand I used--might be other options out there now. I have studied up on how to do stained glass, but haven't done anything yet other than replacing the glass in my parlor's upper central window--all straight cuts to fit wood frame!

• slateberry
    12 years ago

Thank you for more photos! I have been frantically working on my basement windows today--such a treat to come in and sit down to more pics. The picture of your grandfather's house reinforces my theory that people tend to fall in love with the style of the grandparents' houses, not their parents. But I suppose it depends.

Hey Kansas, I know what you mean about the round tuit. But seriously, isn't the real problem that we're so busy getting around to something else already? Old houses!

• columbusguy1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You're all probably getting tired of my pics, but here's a few more:
    My Bedroom:

Bed Room Light:

Slateberry, I got my patterns for the glass designs from some Dover books with them, and found one at Michael's(?) which I liked.

KS, sorry, missed your question--the floral arrangement was made by a friend--he and his s.0. enter scarecrows, plant arrangements, and decorated cakes in the Ohio State Fair every year. :) P.S.: my amethyst Fostoria vase won second place a couple years back. :)

• ks_toolgirl
    12 years ago

CG, if we were tired of your pics - we wouldn't be here again, practically begging for them!! :-)

So, that's actually an arrangement, not a painting? It looks amazing!! Now, I'm going back through the pics for the amethyst Fostoria... It'd better be in there! I'll be sending you a FB message tonight, btw.

Slateberry, it's the old house & such that requires my "tuit" be adjusted to a round shape. :-)

• slateberry
    12 years ago

I second toolgirl! Thanks for the tips on the dover and Michael's books-that's going to be fun to check out. Love the velvet curtains in your bedroom. I have seen shades like the one in your last picture but not painted, just plain frosted white. I really should post more pictures on the forum; I've often thought of giving a virtual home tour, but there are so many works in progress. As I type this, my washer and dryer are pulled away from the wall (because what should have been a simple exterior dryer vent upgrade turned out to be a little more involved...sounds familiar, right?) And the chandelier that was living on top of my dryer while awaiting rewiring is on my kitchen table, along with the new dryer vent that was supposed to install in 5 minutes. And one kid built a fort in the family room but wouldn't share, so I helped another kid build another fort in the living room (using my ironing board, sofa, love seat, and two king sheets, what else?) so you can't even see what those rooms look like, it's tent city, so, no pictures tonight. And this is business as usual for us, so maybe in 20 years, a home tour. I'm very grateful that you bit the bullet and posted; I've often wondered about your house and it didn't disappoint! Your woodwork and glass is stunning, and your decor is so much more true to period than mine--it's great inspiration.

• slateberry
    12 years ago

So I looked into hinges like yours and found some online. If you search on Victorian butterfly cabinet hinges you'll find more. That is a detail I'm going to have to work into my kitchen remodel. Flush mounted hinges: now there's something even I probably won't screw up!

• LoveInTheHouse
    12 years ago

I love your house!

• columbusguy1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, more pics--the last room downstairs as yet unrecorded! The Dining Room features a Duncan Pfyfe set of nine pieces made in 1925 with one owner--a wedding present for an event which it seems didn't take place. Found the matching mirror three years later!
    South Wall:

Buffet:

China Closet (Oriental Gardens service from 30s?):

East Wall:

Stereo (works, got plenty of 78s):

North Bay (bench belonged to my aunt's father):

Radio (works, AM only):

West Wall (original wallpaper hiding behind thermostat):

Carnival Glass on Table (also have some amber):

Godzilla (walks, smokes) observing paint sample (not happy?):

Fostoria Vase (drool away, KS!):

• columbusguy1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving--spent mine with the flu, so missed good food at my sister's. :(

• lucillle
    12 years ago

Hope you feel better soon.
    I LOVE your home!!!!!
    3 cats?

• ks_toolgirl
    12 years ago

2 cats... Not counting the one on the pantry sink. ;-)

(I'll take... Ummm... The Fostoria vase as my prize - I'll have to get my address to ya, lol! Or some carnival glass... I'm not too picky. Or - the purple elephant! I'll bet theres a story, there! :-)

My carnival is the dark purple, almost black (only 2 pieces) - and one bowl that's "Marigold". I love your vibrant blues! I'm drooling over all of it, including - but not limited to - the Fostoria. You have amazing taste, my friend, we are "birds of a feather".

• columbusguy1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Lucille! Two real cats only, a ten year old tortie-point Siamese named Bortai, and a 6 year old Seal point named Chula--who is, alas, broken. She has weakness in her back legs.

KS, more pics of knick-knacks coming tomorrow--some more carnival glass, more cats and other miscellaneous junk piled on the mantel and piano. :)

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Just popped in to have a look at some "Old Houses" love them. If you want to "match up your dining room fixture where it is all white "you can get Folk Art Enamel paint in 2 oz jars at a craft store & use a light touch of that beige or goldish color so it matches up well with the other room. I would do a light brush over the raised floral part 1st & see if you need any more. The paint is actually sometimes painted on glass & put in the oven to "cure" at a low temp or what I do just leave it alone to cure & after 30 days or so it will be set for good. Be sure to buy the little flat brush for enamels so you get good results. I've done Gallery Glass painting & you are very good at it!! Nice work!! Your Fenton vase(comport) is beautiful! Enjoyed all your pics!

• finallyrenovating
    12 years ago

These pictures represent a lot of hard work, but it is so much fun to see all of the progress in restoring a beautiful house!

• yogastef
    12 years ago

What a beautiful home! Thanks for posting. I love the paint and the colors! You are so talented. It looks like a painting. I love the antique lighting fixtures, too. Great work: congratulations. I wish more people appreciated the old style. Where I live in LA, so many people tear down and rebuild.

• jlc102482
    12 years ago

Hey Columbus, about how old would you say your light fixtures are (or are they original to the house?) They are just beautiful! You've done some seriously wonderful work here. Don't ever by shy about sharing more photos! :)

• columbusguy1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The downstairs lights are original to 1908 when the house was built--my bedroom fixture is probably from around 1920? since I found it at a yard sale. The upstairs hall shade was in the attic stored away, could be anytime probably before 1930. The two smaller bedrooms (no light in either when I moved in--front one has a fixture I put in around 1988, the back bedroom has none. Bathroom has ones from the 20s, the attic has the original gas/electric wall bracket--picture coming tomorrow or later today when camera is done charging.
    Pantry fixture dates probably from 1920, a replacement of a round fluorescent I removed after buying the place in '87. Likewise the kitchen (newer fixture, shade from around 1920 from yard sale.)
    All lights are controlled by original pushbutton switches. Basement has six porcelain sockets probably from 30s...all with pull chains.

• bungalowmo
    8 years ago

I just finally finished all your posts with your old house photos...including the doorbell! What a great old place! Another kindred spirit here...mine is a 1916 Craftsman Bungalow. Only been here about 8.5 years & doing all the work myself (with the exception of electrical & plumbing). Truly a labor of love.

It's so much easier to post pics of ripped up, unfinished rooms in this section. Old house people get it when some of your sash are out of the frames for reglazing & some rooms have chipped plaster (for 2 years until you can actually get around to it).

Real restoration is so much more time consuming than a "renovation".

Your home is gorgeous! Your furnishings are perfect too!

I love the folks who understand the phrase "They just don't build em like they used to", and choose that old house to call home!

Totally following you!! :0)

• weedyacres
    8 years ago

I actually haven't seen columbusguy around these parts for a while. Does anyone know what happened to him?

• bungalowmo
    8 years ago

I know he's still around. I saw he "liked" a couple comments I made yesterday.

I'm guessing he's up to his elbows in projects!