Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cement block basement walls

Posted by lov_mkitchen (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 12 at 21:55

My house is 1880 build. The basement is nice! Cement block, cement floor, drains. I can't imagine this is original to the house. Anyone want to make a guess as to when it might have been done? I can take pictures if need be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cement block basement walls

My 1908 foursquare has block basement walls and a concrete floor...I presume they were made on-site with a machine, as I don't think mass-production of block was around then as it is now.

The link is for a block-making machine with accessories...the design of my blocks are on Page 9, Design #6.

Here is a link that might be useful: Concrete Block Machines

o

I don't know if I did this right or not. Photobucket is very confusing.

Thanks, columbusguy1, these might be the very first blocks shown. I've lived in a "newer" house than this one and that basement wasn't this nice. That was one cool book!

side1

side2

side 1

side 1 1

side 1 2

outside

Here is a link that might be useful: cement block

o

Thank you for that link columbusguy1!!
My grandfather built a barber shop with "hand made concrete blocks" according to family lore, and now I know how he did it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here