Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1940's kitchen picture source?

Posted by pinch_me (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 25, 09 at 21:36

Who has a photo album with 1940's kitchen pictures? I'd like to look at that time frame for possibly decorating my "new" kitchen but I can't find any pictures. I found old wallpaper I really, really want but not at the price it's going for. (Not to mention I really, really don't want to work with the old paper)From memory, I think everyone papered? And the paper patterns I remember were in primary colors. Paint colors would be dark green, gray, or that ivory/cream color? I have an old porcelain enamel top table with that cream color painted wooden legs. The table top is white and the edge is blue. I thought it was the '40's but I'm not sure. The photos in my album don't give a really good idea of what my parent's kitchen looked like and of course they are black and white. I've found many of the papers I grew up with though. A walk down memory lane.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1940's kitchen picture source?

The kitchen in my house in 1945Had a taupe woodwork and wallpaper, of course....the wall paper was shades of mulberry tan and blue.....a far cry from primary colors!
Not too long ago I gutted the kitchen in my 1920s house and the earliest color was a wine color...(EWW!) and next came a soft green, rather typical for the era, you can find that color in the handles of many vintage kitchen utensils.
A porcelain table would have been pushed against a wall and used as a work table....the eating table would have been either a banquette in a painted color or in natural maple or birch.
Remember during much of the 40;s the country was at war....and people were not re doing kitchens, so most of the 40s kitchens contained 30s stuff...until the war was over.
Linda C

o

My fav:

http://retrorenovation.com/retro-kitchens/

Here is a link that might be useful: Reto Kitchens

o

Here's a link to the 40s from another old home lover...
Scroll about 1/2 way down on the left.

Here is a link that might be useful: blog

o

Thanks! I kept getting the same text articles from various sites. I'd forgotten about the retro site... the pictures at grazhina 's Public Gallery will be tonight's stroll through the past.

o

Just google 1940 kitchen or see link below.

These kitchens were not very functional or attractive IMHO but I grew up in one.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1940 kitchens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here