Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with old hardware?

Posted by alison_27 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 19, 09 at 21:14

The hinge on the door to our attic snapped recently, so today we repaired it. Our house was built in 1910 but extensively remodeled. These hinges (and the handle/latch) look original though. Because the place has already been overhauled we're not particularly interested in period-authentic replacements, so we just replaced the hinge with something from Home Depot. I know that these older pieces can be hard to find, so I'm wondering how I might be able to find someone who can use the intact hinge? Ebay? Here? I'm not looking to make money off the thing, but I've lurked here enough to know that people can be made very happy with the right part to augment their old-home restoration. :)

I'll update later with a photo -- heck, maybe it's not original at all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with old hardware?

Yeah, post a photo. Someone here might get lucky and find it is a match for one of their!

o

OK, here goes. I will post a separate thread if no one notices this one after a few days. :)

o

That is a georgeous hinge!! Wish I had the mate! I once started collecting parts and pieces of old hardware that I picked up in the pasture. One of these days I'll mount it in an artistic way and hang it on the wall. Put that project on my retirement list?

o

Thanks for posting Alison! I wish I had a hinge that matches that, but I definitely keep an eye out for parts that match my old home parts. Sharing the info is a great idea. Hopefully this bump will get someone else to look and see if it matches their hinges.

o

I would post it on craigslist. Might get $30-40 from the right person. If you have the broken hinge, might include that since someone might wish to repair it.

o

Stunning. The other option is to contact a company that does reproductions in case they want to copy it. Lee Valley comes to mind.

Failing that, I'd also recommend either craigslist or Ebay.

KarinL

o

Robinson' Hardware is where I got all of my antique hardware. He would love to have the piece as well as the broken one. That is a beauty. Please don't toss it...they really are valuable to the right person. Here is his link...

Here is a link that might be useful: Robinson's antique Hardware

o

Alison
That is an Eastlake hinge - New ones go for about $60/pr

http://www.vandykes.com/product/206295/eastlake-4-knuckle-hinges-brass-4-

Vintage $75/pr

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage hardware

o

When we moved into this house, we found a plastic bag of our home's old hardware in our basement. We've cleaned it up and reinstalled it. Yes, we did have to pick up a couple of pieces along the way but the search has been worth it to get the quality hardware back in place.

o

Beautiful piece. Do you have architectural salvage dealers in your area? If you don't want to Craigslist or eBay it, I'm sure they'd buy it from you.

o

There's a place in PA and NYC called Olde Good Things. Nice bunch of people. We've gotten replacement hardware and vintage subway tiles for our 1920's apt there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Olde Good Things

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here