Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sycamore_guy

painting radiator in place

sycamore_guy
17 years ago

I've seen posts (including the recent one) about removing cast iron radiators, sandblasting them, spray painting them and reinstalling them. Has anyone painted their radiators in place? As you know, these things are heavy. I'd rather not move them if I can avoid it. Further, it is getting to be winter. I cannot drain the boiler to take the radiators out.

Is it just plain impossible to do a good job without removing the radiator? For starters I see troubles getting them clean and also getting paint applied evenly.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (8)

• prettyphysicslady
    17 years ago

Yes, I did mine in place. Cleaning was a nightmare, even toothbrushes were too big for some spots.

I used a shower curtain pulled under the feet and taped to the wall to keep the spray paint off everything.

Do lots of very thin coats, you don't need to cover every spot every coat. Many super thin coats are best.

You can find all sorts of colors in heat proof paint now so you'll have lots of cool choices.

• Rudebekia
    17 years ago

I refinished at least 5 radiators in place in this old house. Each was a terrible, long job, but it can be done and the results are well worth it. I used a strong stripper, BIX (I worked in summer, so the radiators were not on), then painted on a metal primer, then a coat of metal paint. I didn't spray paint. Go for it!

• mightyanvil
    17 years ago

When the boiler is drained it is easy to remove a radiator if you have a large enough pipe wrench. Removal is no harder than trying to clean the radiator in place.

Don't paint it with aluminum paint or the radiant (infra red) heat energy of the radiator will be almost entirely blocked.

• sycamore_guy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks all.

Mightyanvil - you are a better man than I am. I moved one radiator once and vowed never to do it again. It was one of the SMALL ones and it must have weighed 300 pounds. I can only guess what the big ones weigh.

• nack
    17 years ago

I'm into the same thing. Old house with a dozen old filty radiators in need of painting. I'm also drywalling behind them. Removing the rads would make the rennovation ALOT easier. I am not so worried about how heavy these things are. But I am afraid to unscrew the pipes for fear of them breaking off. Also I am scared to death of creating leaks when I try to reattach them. I capable handyman on most jobs, but I don't want to create a bunch of new problems.

Am I being too cautious on this?

Thanks
    nack

• wangshan
    17 years ago

I too was more afraid of creating a problem where none existed before and stripped and painted mine in place. They weren't leaking or making noise or anything and some of them are very big. I figure even if they aren't perfectly done now they are a vast improvement over the way they looked and they still function fine.

• sycamore_guy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm with you nack.

No joke - some of these radiators must be 500 pounds. Moving them without messing up the hardwood floor would be a challenge.

The only things that would cause me to move them would be a need to do work on the wall behind them or to refinish the floor under them.

• lenl
    17 years ago

Dunno. My floor guy went under them. I didn't want to contaminate the water with air. Every time you open up the radiator, it adds air, (read rust.) I have a 1950 boiler functioning perfectly since it has never been opened. Worth considering doing in place. I'd recommend it.
    Len