Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crazed interior woodwork

Posted by nan-nan (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 20:58

Here is a picture of the dining room window trim. What do you suggest as a remedy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crazed interior woodwork

And another one

o

At a guess, I'd say the finish is shellac, and I believe brushing on a new layer will even out the existing finish, re-dissolving it a bit. Your first picture looks a lot like some of my woodwork, while the second I think I have on a couple window sills.

I need to buy some shellac, but can't decide what shade. If you like the color of your wood, I'd opt for the lightest shade.

o

Sand down the lumpiness. It is important that you used a sanding block, so just the raised parts are leveled down. You don't want to sand through to wood. Then recoat with shellac.Sandpaper grit should be 400. It's slow but rewarding. Here's an organ lid I did back in june:
B4
93BF Alligatored finish
Despues:
93BF lid repolished
No-strip repolishing process, patent pending ;)
Casey

o

Clean it off with a mix of laquer thinner and denatured alcohol (50/50 mix) gently scrubbed with coarse steel wool, and wiped off with soft rags.

It will re-dissolve the crinkled bits and clean off all the old cigarette tars, grease and such.

Then evaluate the color and smoothness. It might or might not need staining and sanding. It will need a coat of something clear and protective, perhaps just more shellac.

o

Casey- you sure have a way with wood :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here