Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to seal gaps at interior baseboard corner?

Posted by la_koala (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 18, 08 at 20:47

I'm aiming to seal the gaps around the trim pieces (door trim, window trim, baseboards) that are on the exterior walls of our house (>100 years old). Seal out the wind this winter. :-)

In examining some of the rooms, I noticed that at some of the interior corners, the perpendicular baseboards don't meet evenly and have gaps. Some of the largest gaps are 3/16 inch wide.

My "newbie" questions:
My tube of Dap Alex Plus caulk says that it should not be used for filling "butt joints". Would such corners where the baseboards meet up be considered "butt joints"?

I'm not sure how deep these gaps go. I mean, the baseboards seem to be about 1 inch thick when I try to measure them from the painted wall portion. So, wouldn't that mean the gaps could be 1 inch deep?

My Dap tube says to use a backer rod if the gap is more than 1/2 inch deep. How would I use a backer rod in this situation? Stuff it into the gap as deep as possible, and then caulk the gap in front of the backer rod?

Is there a 'best practice' to seal these gaps between baseboards at interior corners that I should follow?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Lee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to seal gaps at interior baseboard corner?

You can find backer rod in the heating and ventilation section at HD. And, yes you stuff it into the gap until you fill the space within an 1/8" or less of the top. Thick caulk just cracks and soon. You can use a putty knife to smooth larger caulk joints and a wet finger for the narrow joints. Keep a wet rag handy to wipe the excess off painted surfaces. After the caulk sets up you can paint it.

I'd guess that Dap doesn't want you to use the product on butt joints in siding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here