Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shellac followup

Posted by bottman5684 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 2, 09 at 20:32

We recently purchased a 1911 Craftsman. It is really great but doesn't seem to have ever had any built-ins. Therefore, we just bought a salvaged built-in buffet. It is very dark Fir wood. The finish is not salvagable. I did the denatured alcohol test and it is shellac and only shellac, no stain at all. The problem is, even after alcohol and even citristrip, there is a silvery-white haze left on the wood. We wanted to stain it prior to reshellac-ing to match our existing woodwork. Can I apply stain over this ghostly sheen? If not, any tips on getting it off?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shellac followup

It's confusing. The present tense "very dark fir" built-in doesn't match your house's woodwork, and you need to stain it ... lighter? You can't stain something to lighten its color.
I would try to remove the haze with acetone and steel wool. Maybe a positive-acting stripper like Kutzit. Failing that, sand or scrape off the surface to new wood.
Casey

o

Thanks for the response and apologies for the confusion. The 'very dark fir' of the buffet is due to the aged shellac only. Alcohol brought it down to bare wood; it had never been stained. But the shellac is not salvageable so in order to get it back to a dark color once I get it off, I will have to stain it. Thanks again, I will try the acetone.

o

There are a number of grades of shellac, but some are only commonly available as flakes.

Shellac does not typically darken with age, so yours may have been 'Garnet' grade or even darker.

o

A quick thought; test a small area with the new shellac finish, if the silvering disappears, it will also disappear with stain. Then remove the test patch of shellac and go for it. As brick suggests, a darker color of shellac may do the trick.
Here's a sampling of ultra blond (left) and garnet (right) shellacs; the woods are T to B: yellow pine, maple, white oak, and mahogany.
ultra blond vs. garnet shellacs
Casey

o

Kusumi Seedlac is pretty dark as well as button lac. I think you can buy shellac flakes at shellac.net. It is really easy to use and apply. Shellac has become my finish of choice these days.

o

You will get the white haze if you are stripping shellac with denatured alcohol and the humidity is high. That has been our experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here