Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Lock Repair Help

Posted by nosambos (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 17, 09 at 20:11

I have a beautiful but broken antique lock. To date I have no luck finding someone to fix it. I am willing to send it out or buy another one for parts. I first need to find someone with the know how to fix it. Any lead would be most appreciated. In the closeup pic I have marked a little iron prong which is broken off. The prong pushes the latch back so the door opens from the outside. The inside knob does open the latch. It could also be possible that the outside knob doesn't work because it is locked and there is no key but I think the first problem is the prong.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Lock Repair Help

I take it you've contacted locksmiths? If it is a brass prong, you may need someone to machine you a new one. My FIL is passed away, but he was a gunsmith and machinist. He did fine work like that. You may try to think out of the box and find a craftsman/machinist who would be willing to work on it.

We are fortunate to have smithys here, and I've had antique bronze lamp fixtures/old locks repaired in those places.

o
RE: Need Lock Repair Help

You might find help - either directly or referral - through a local architectural salvage company.

There is a fabulous salvage store in Richmond, Virginia called Caravati's that does hardware restoration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caravati's Inc Architectural Salvage

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here