Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
old_house_j_i_m

drilling a wired hole ???

old_house_j_i_m
11 years ago

Let me start by saying "I hate plumbing and electrical stuff." I do it because I have to, but I hate it. wood? metal? paint? finishing? stripping - all good, but electrical, no way ...

I want to replace my doorbell button - pretty easy stuff, eh? not around here.

You know how the simplest task takes 80 trips to the tool box and three weeks to finally finish? that's kind of what I am up against here.

I removed the old 1970's glowing green rectangular button from the front porch a year ago when we started restoring the porch. I have the replacement, a nice brass eastlake-y kind of number. BUT. here's the thing: the hole drilled into the door frame with the 2 wires hanging out is smaller than the protruding cylinder on the new brass one.

So my question is: how can I enlarge that hole (just a bit) to fit the new button into it WHILE the wires for the button are sticking out of the frame. I am concerned that if I let the wires slip down into that "chasm of nowhere" Ill never find them again, and worse, I'll have to replace them. Lord knows I am not patient with following wires through the house or worse, eek, "fishing" them someplace.

Do I have any options before I "go there" and have to restrain myself from yelling at the dog ...

Comments (5)