Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Country Victorian ?

Posted by lavender_lass (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 13, 09 at 19:46

Does anyone have any good pics or book recommendations for country Victorian? I read somewhere that while classic Victorian architecture has all the great details we associate with Victorian homes, there was a scaled down version used in vacation homes and cottages.

Victorian style is very beautiful, but a bit fancy for my farm situation. Hopefully, country Victorian might give me some ideas that would work in my dining room or bedroom. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Country Victorian ?

That was a time in America when only the wealthy build second homes in the country. They were called "cottages" but were huge elaborate country estates. Most of these homes were later known as the "Shingle Style". Perhaps you are thinking of "Folk Victorian" homes in the late 19th and early 20th century that have simple shapes and often no more than fancy porch trim and roof rake and eave brackets to link them to the Victorian era.

Are you designing a house or furnishing a room?

o

You might check out these books. I don't own them, but they look like they might be useful to you.
The Farmhouse; Jean Rehkamp Larson
American Farmhouses; Leah Rosch & Keith Scott

Macv, is "folk victorian" the same as "carpenter gothic"? I've always loved the exterior of carpenter gothic houses; they make me think "victorian" but simpler and more homespun if you will. Maybe those are two terms to google, lavendarlass.

o

Your question intrigued me and I found this blog that might interest you.
I notice that some of the suggestions are for a more simple look that might appeal to you.
kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Victorian decorating blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here