Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has it been a good year???? (Pic Heavy)

Posted by Danvirsse (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 23, 11 at 19:46

Hi,

Most of you folks probably don't know me. I've been mostly lurkng for several months now. My DH and I purchased a old house November 2010, and embarked on the resurrection process. The other people considering the property would have torn the house down. We've completely gutted, straighten the first and second floors, re-framed, installed new windows, rough wired, rough plumbed ... our selves... The masons restored the exterior brick, the plumber installed a new water service, and we almost have a new electrical service.

I'm tired ... and overwhelmed ... sorry for venting

The House we Bought
The Kitchen
Fire place after uncovering
The basemet
Secord floor afte

<P><a href=Photobucket

Our indoor
Photobucket

Starting to reframe interior

The back with new windows

Insulation is done 1st floor

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has it been a good year???? (Pic Heavy)

What a beauty, Danvirsse! Nice restoration work-gives me hope for our new old home that we've been working on for only 3 mos. now.
Doesn't it feel great to have all THAT behind you? You should be very proud of all the work you and your husband did yourselves!
Carolyn

o

Thank you for NOT tearing that house down! It looks beautiful and most importantly will be nice to live in, now that you are nearing completion of the home.

Those of us who chose to restore and live in old homes are a bit crazy, but there is no home I'd rather live in than an old home, rich with history and charm.

Congratulations on the tough stuff, now on to the fun stuff- interior finishes and decorating!

o

Thanks millymoo and oldhousegal. When I re-read my post this morning, I almost regreted writing it. After a good night's sleep and reviewing our accomplishments, it seemed silly to be whining. Still, so far it has been alot of work. Like you said, oldhousegal, there is something "special" about the feeling only an old house offers. Next summer, we'll remove the 5 !!!! layers of shingles on the roof, straighten the roof line and re-frame etc the 2nd floor. And best of all, install the new roof. I'll post occasionally, hopefully with a better frame of mind, to keep you updated. It is truly a labor of love and we are fortunate to be able to do it.

Thanks for the kind words of support when I so needed them.

Danvirsse

o

Danvirsse, we're right with you, in the midst of a whole house restoration. It's exhausting, but on the inside, we are finally seeing a light. Once we move in, there will still be a long, long list to do, and sometimes I juts hate this old house we bought, but in the end.. I know it will be worth every penny and all the long hours (just hope my injuries heal!)

o

Tinker, I'll be thinking of you. I don't know what part of the country you're in, but winter will be setting in for us soon. Our version of winter will mean approx. 180" of snow and below freezing temps for at least 3 months. Fortunately, as soon as I get the gas company to turn on our gas service, we will have some heat in the structure. I'm looking forward to beginning some of the interior work.

o

Label on box recently received from Advanced Repair Technology:

The Greenest Building Is The One That's Already Built

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here