Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toggle bolt installation of grab bar into plaster/lathe

Posted by snoogie (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 3, 09 at 19:37

How do I keep the toggle bolts from just twirling and not fastening tight?

I can find the first stud that I can put at least two screws in on the left side of the grab bar. Drilling the holes on the right side of the left hand mounting plate will tell me if I still have stud or if I have only plaster and lathe wall.

I don't know the distance between the studs, so if at the end of the 24 inch grab bar I don't have stud to screw in at least 2 screws can I use toggle bolts in at least 2 of the 4 screw holes in the mounting plate. Will this be sturdy enough for my 82 yr old Mother to use the grab bar?

I have also posted this question on the bathroom board.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toggle bolt installation of grab bar into plaster/lathe

Typically studs are spaced 16" on center but that's a general rule that can change. It's hard to find studs behind tile as you're figured out. Assuming 16" OC you can angle the bar to hit both studs.

You can use toggle bolts and they'll probably be strong enough. You need to apply some back pressure as you tighten the screw. In the case of several in the same bracket, you need to apply some pressure and tighten each screw a little at a time.

They also make special holders for grab bars. Off hand I can't remember the name but their quite heavy duty and unfortunately rather expensive (although far less expensive than a fall and trip to the hospital).

o
RE: Toggle bolt installation of grab bar into plaster/lathe

Pull back slightly on the screw while turning it with your fingers.

When the toggle starts to make contact with the plaster, use a screwdriver for the last few turns.

Make sure no one EVER grabs the bar and pulls (even for balance).

The toggle will pull through pretty easily.

A more solid installation is to open the plaster wall, put some 2x blocking in, then repair the plaster.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here