Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lhf79

economical period kitchen makeover?

lhf79
17 years ago

We need to do a complete remodel of a very bad 1960's remodel in our new 1925 English Tudor Cottage. My dream includes painted inset cabinets, beaded board or subway tiled backsplashes, soapstone counters, farmhouse sinks, glass knobs, stainless bin pulls, and of course an "invisible" refrigerator. Then reality hits as I look at the bank account!! Any ideas to get a vintage feel at a lower cost or alternate suggestions for my wish list? I am open to all suggestions. I'd also really appreciate any photos you might have to share of your remodels. Thanks in advance!!!

Comments (27)

• redbirds
    17 years ago

Wow, did this one hit close to home. We're getting ready to remodel a very bad 1960's remodel (were there ANY good ones?) in our mid 1800's house. I need to take some "before" pictures so that I can look back and realize that ANYTHING we could have done would have been an improvement!

We are definitely on a budget; besides, it doesn't make sense for this house/area to do anything extravagant, and I really love a kitchen that looks period and simple.

Here are the things we plan to do, perhaps we can all exchange some ideas.

1. I just bought a nice range on Ebay with a dent in it for about half of retail; you can get some good stuff on there if you look around a lot
    2. My father-in-law will be helping rebuild our cabinets; we plan to reuse the boxes wherever we can and get new doors, probably some sort of beadboard pattern (we almost went ahead and painted them just to get us through to the remodel; that is such a great, cheap way to completely change the looks of a kitchen)
    3. We'll be doing wood countertops, again the father-in-law will be helping; I've also heard Ikea wood countertops are great for the very reasonable pricetag
    4. I'm getting a farmhouse sink, I repeat I AM GETTING A FARMHOUSE SINK! I think I may go with the Ikea version "Domsjo," the price is great and it looks cool
    5. I really, really want a wall-mounted faucet...this decision is pending
    6. Glass knobs would be really awesome...
    7. Well I can forget the fancy refrigerator, ours had better last several more years; we are moving ours to be on the end of a row of cabinets; in our previous house, we had a tall piece of cabinet wood on the end to hide the big white side of the fridge, that did help

One thing that is pretty exciting is that this past weekend, we uncovered a long-walled-in fireplace in the kitchen. It is non-functioning, but after we get it cleaned up and get a mantel on it, I think it will be a neat visual addition to the new kitchen. Rough as it is, I already love it infinitely more than the wall of paneling.

I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with! Thanks, LHF!

Here is a link that might be useful: Uncovered fireplace

• Miss EFF
    17 years ago

This hit close to home! I was a kitchen designer and I would come home from work with plans for $15,000-20,000 cabinets bids. At cost --- 8 years ago. And after being shown reality by my husband (checkbook balance) --- I got to work, being creative.

If the cabinets are not built in place -- they can be easily re-arranged. Remember they are just boxes. Measure each cabinet and the walls and start drawing. You may want to hire an independent designer to draw up a plan. Ends can be covered with beadboard or 1/4"plywood and painted.

Look for bargains ... ask homecenters about returned special order merchandise. I bought a $300 Swanstone sink for $50. I just bought a Jacuzzi at Lowe's for a $100 because there is a small chip in the tile flange.

Ebay is your friend --- watch for faucets, hardware and lighting. I bought a shower valve --Delta $325 at HD for $46.99 including shipping on ebay.

Period lighting is easy to find on ebay, particularly if you can re-wire yourself.
    Open shelving fits most period homes and can easily be incorportated into a kitchen -- remove doors --- fill holes -- and add vintage items. I store all my drygoods/spices and herbs in vintage canning jars --- in my 110 year-old farmhouse, its the perfect look.

For countertops --- go directly to the fabricator. Ask what is discontinued -- do they have canceled orders? By being flexible --- I had a solid surface countertop made for my laundry room. Retail was $800 -- I paid $200. Did I get my first choice in color --no. Did I get something that worked --yes. Countertop slabs are sold in 8 and 12' lengthes. So the fabricators keep the "scraps" and they might fit your situation.

I have more ideas if you need them. I've used them all --- I think!!

Cathy

• aprilwhirlwind
    17 years ago

In case you haven't seen them, here's a link to pictures of 1920's kitchens.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1920's kitchens

• jannie
    17 years ago

We have a small, 1950's kitchen. We renovated once, tore out everything down to the walls, installed new cabinets and counters, and standard appliances. That was 1987. Even then, we spent $17,000. This past year, we corrected two "mistakes" : 1. we put in a much deeper sink, and 2. we took out the hanging cabinets, got rid of the soffets, and put in new cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling. Cost about $6000. I love the new sink and extra storage space in the taller cabinets. Wish we did it right the first time.

• Fori
    17 years ago

Inset cabinets are expensive...so nice though. Try architectural salvage places for sinks. Subway tile you can install yourself--you might find it more affordable to tile the counters too. You can use painted beadboard paneling for the backsplash to save money as well as get the beadboard look in there. Open shelving might work.

I guess it depends on what can be salvaged...and is the layout OK? Does it not work or is it just ugly?

Post pictures and I'm sure you'll get some ideas!

• aprilwhirlwind
    17 years ago

Inset cabinets were way past my budget. I went frameless at as significant savings.
    I need some tile for the backsplash around my range. We're considering either subway or glass tiles.
    I found a site that makes regular old fashioned subway and hexagonal tiles. Highlight the order section and the tile menu will come up.

Here is a link that might be useful: traditional subway tile

• dodgevalley
    17 years ago

I plan to do the same thing. But the kitchen will be the last room I get to, so I don't have any remodel experience or photos to share. But given that costs are already high, I have been looking around for the pieces I know I want, particularly a wall-hung sink with integrated drainboards.

As fori mentions, architectural salvage is a great way to do a less expensive (and authentic) period makeover. You can get cabinets, sinks, fixtures, lights, flooring, everything. In addition to eBay, definitely look at craigslist for all of the metro areas within a distance you'd be willing to drive. You might also try freecycle. And check out the listings in your state for members of the Building Materials Reuse Ass'n.

One of my inspiration images:

Here is a link that might be useful: Building Materials Reuse Association

• mary_lu_gw
    17 years ago

Very good suggestions above. How "built in" do you want your kitchen to be? If you do a search on "unfitted kitchens" you will find info on this type of kitchen. Basically it means all freestanding cupboards. Or it can be a combination of both.

Also check out the kitchens forum here. Lots of good info there.

I took a peek at the 1920's kitchen and found my sink! :-) We got it out of an old barn....
    {{!gwi}}
    Or find an old cupboard for cheap $$ (we paid $200) and refinish it.
    Before
    {{!gwi}}
    After
    {{!gwi}}

• mary_lu_gw
    17 years ago

Just found this picture of another, a possum belly cupboard we picked up for $75 and refinished/painted.
    {{!gwi}}

• Miss EFF
    17 years ago

Mary Lu -

Great possum belly cabinet! What a buy at $75! And is that a barrel churn? It is wonderful. I saw a stoneware one -- about that size -- sell at an auction one time --- for major dollars. Started at $1500 and went up from there. It was much to rich for my blood.

I love your kitchen.

Cathy

• momcat2000
    17 years ago

Was I the only little girl who wanted to grow up to be Lillian Gilbreath (maybe a few less kids)

• Vivian Kaufman
    17 years ago

I know where there is a wall mounted sink just like that laying behind a building.... Maybe I oughta go back. It even still has the faucet attached.

Not that I need one, but just saying...

• redbirds
    17 years ago

YES VIVIAN GO GET THAT SINK. If I didn't live all the way in Louisiana, I'd pick it up from you and promptly. :)

I love Mary Lu's kitchen, as well, I'd take all that crockery off her hands any day! What were possum belly cabinets used for, I'm not familiar with them?

• aprilwhirlwind
    17 years ago

quote;
    "Lillian Moller Gilbreth was an inventor, author, industrial engineer, industrial psychologist, and mother of twelve children. A pioneer in ergonomics, Gilbreth patented many kitchen appliances including an electric food mixer, shelves inside refrigerator doors, and the famous trash can with a foot-pedal lid-opener."
    http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blGilbreth.htm

Thanks, Lilly!

• Sully6
    17 years ago

Ikea has some nice-looking painted beadboard cabinets called Stat. I would like to do a low-cost remodel of my kitchen next year, and found that Ikea cabs would only cost me about $1500. Can't beat that! They also sell a farmhouse sink for a couple hundred bucks called Domsjo (I think). It's always backordered though.

Stat kitchen:
    {{!gwi}}

If you're interested in finding out more about Ikea cabs, definitely check out the Ikea thread in the kitchen forum and the Ikeafans Web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikeafans

• Carol_from_ny
    17 years ago

Redbird ...I have the same flooring as you......I hate mine it shows the dirt and was poorly put in.

Dodgevalley... I have that sink....A friend was cleaning out a barn he had and was going to throw it in a dumpster till I protested. Instead he helped my DH put it in our truck to take home. It's not installed yet but I have hopes!

My problem with my kitchen is too many doors and traffic patterns for it to function as is. I love all the suggestions.

• mary_lu_gw
    17 years ago

Cathy, yes were were excited to find the possum belly cupboard for that price. It has two pull out cutting boards and of course the 2 "possum belly" drawers. Yes, that is a barrel churn. Again we were lucky. We found it at an auction and got it for $40 with the stand and all. Even the little glass window on the top is still in tact.

Vivian...I agree, go grab that sink. They are becoming very popular and are hard to find. If you don't want it, I'm sure there are others who would love to have it. I know I wouldn't trade mine for the world!

redbirds...I think the PB cupboards were just kitchen/baking cupboards. They got their name from the shape of the 2 rounded drawers on the bottom. If you do a search on PB cupboards you will see various ones, they all have the rounded drawers in common. Some have a top cupboard as well. I have more crockery than you see in these pictures. Some I collected and some were my mothers.

lhf79...I hope my pictures have given you something to consider in your remodel. Just depends on the look you want.

This picture was taken from the dining room looking into the kitchen. Gives a better overall feel of the room. The sink is to the left of the table.
    {{!gwi}}
    Marylu

• redbirds
    17 years ago

Carol, that flooring does show every speck of dirt and believe me, it is about to get axed! We have hardwood underneath a few layers of old flooring and we'll be pulling it all up soon before we start the remodel. My husband will probably throw a party, as he is usually the one to sweep the kitchen.

Mary Lu, I'll definitely be on the lookout for the possum belly cabinets now, they have a very distinct look. My mother loves crocks as well, so she has gotten all that belonged to my greatgrandparents and grandparents. I'm not sure how I could convince her to give some up. I guess they are popular to collect now because they usually cost a pretty penny when I spot them.

I have to brag on Ebay again. After I had gotten pretty frustrated with the condition of most vintage sinks, like Mary Lu's and Carol's, I kind of decided to buy a new apron sink. Then on Ebay today, lo and behold, a great double bowl, double drainboard antique for a reasonable price. I am really excited.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mary_lu_gw
    17 years ago

redbirds....good luck on the sink! Let us know if you get it!
    Marylu

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

Wonderful kitchens! I'd forgotten about Lillian Gilbreath - I have both Cheaper by the Dozen and Belles on Their Toes written by two of her children. I once wrote a fan appreciation letter to Frank Gilbreath, Jr. (one of the authors) when he lived in Charleston, SC and I got a written reply!

• HomeMaker
    17 years ago

Was I the only little girl who wanted to grow up to be Lillian Gilbreath (maybe a few less kids)

momcat - I dreamed of that too!

I wanted the dozen kids!!!

I'd give my eye teeth for a kitchen like Mary_Lu's!!

• cuddlepoo
    17 years ago

marylu, love the sink! If I hadn't already bought my cabinets I would go looking for a great old sink.

• vjrnts
    17 years ago

Those wonderful old sinks are expensive, too. I don't remember who posted above about an old kitchen sink tossed out behind a barn, but someone should tip off the owners that people are paying over $1500 for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchens at Historic House Parts in Rochester, NY

• momcat2000
    17 years ago

I had a chance to get a vintage sink that a friend was going to get rid of too. But after looking at it, the sinks were way too shallow for my needs.

• cateyanne
    17 years ago

These old kitchen remodels look great! I see lots of ideas for cabinets and sinks, does anybody have vintage or reproduction stoves and fridges in their remodel? I am looking for these and have only found VERY expensive ones, any ideas on how to get a vintage appliance look in a less expensive way?

• rosesr4me
    17 years ago

Just my two cents -
    We totally renovated our small 1930's kitchen (to the studs)
    for about $10K. We did the demo'ing, electrical, and plumbing ourselves. Installed tongue and groove beadboard on walls. Solid maple cabinets came from HD (includes glass inset on upper cabinets). Due to limited $$ at the time, we went with granite look formica countertops - we will be upgrading soon. Appliances came from Sears Outlet store (scratch and dents). We tore out the vinyl flooring and refinished the heartpine floors. Backsplash tile is plain 4" tile with scattered decorative tiles. Check Habitat for Humanity Resale stores...you can get some great deals on vintage as well as brand new items. Ebay is great too for hardware, lighting, accessories, etc. Good luck!

• aprilwhirlwind
    17 years ago

I finally got to take pictures of the new kitchen and put them online.

There are more pictures on my kitchen blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen pix