Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cost per sq ft question

Posted by zagyzebra (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 19:07

I am fishing around for educated estimates on the cost per square foot for an historic restoration project, and it seems like this forum at GardenWeb would be a good place to start.

My house was built in 1931, has lathe and plaster walls, custom hand-crafted concrete details, seamless wood paneling, stained and colored glass windows and doors, soaring wood beam ceilings, turrets, gothic windows and doors, round rooms. Many cool features. Unfortunately, it suffered a large loss fire and has to be brought to its studs.

When we rebuild, we intend to keep it as close as humanly possible to its glorious old 1931 self. I am not interested in cutting corners, or dealing with less than qualified artisans and tradespeople. We have no intention of doing the work ourselves. We intend to use a good general contractor and do everything "by the book."

For those of you who have been through this, do you think $400/sq ft is too conservative? What would be a reasonably comfortable cost per square foot to insure we don't run into limitations?

The home is located in the Hollywood Hills.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cost per sq ft question

Historic restoration? Double that and you might be in the ballpark for a CA location. Some craftsmen or things you may not be able to find at any price.

o
RE: cost per sq ft question

"$400/sq ft is too conservative"

Far more likely it is low.

WAY low.

You cannot even get your hands on many of the materials (like old growth wood) without hitting the salvage places, and they want a LOT.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here