Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pictures of mechanical Dumbwaiter?

Posted by old-fashioned (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 25, 08 at 19:03

We are building a new home with old-world look. We want a dumbwaiter - but not electric. It will be mechanical pulley system - pull the rope to move the car from floor to floor. I'd love to see pictures - anyone have one that could send photos?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pictures of mechanical Dumbwaiter?

Hi - are you really planning to move the "car" from floor to floor :-)? My grandfather's house had a DW, but the problem of showing it to you (or at least a similar one) is that it's inside he walls, and unless you can Google "images" of one, it might be hard for anyone to show you much about its structural aspects.

o

How about an online book/reprint from 1909.....

Handy Farm Devices (and how to make them) By Rolfe Cobleigh

Chapter #3....."the step saving dumbwaiter"

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/device/devicesToC.html#contents

o

There is a very good reason why we hardly ever see a dumbwaiter in modern construction and before you specify one you better do your homework.

In most states a dumbwaiter is classified as a variation of an elevator and there are very strict laws concerning their installation and operation.

In most jurisdictions you have to apply for a special elevator license then the installation has to be done by a licenses elevator installer.

After it is installed you are required to have it inspected and renew the license annually.

o

lucy - picture from front with door open (what is opening size H & W?, what are inside dimensions side-side and front-back?), picture of the vertical rails (wood or metal?, on sides or in back?), picture of the rope (on sides or in middle?) would all be helpful. Structural stuff I can figure out. For the look, I'm hoping to copy some real (old) installations.

abnorm - if I can figure out how to find the book, I will definately take a look.

lazypup - I did check with building dept early on. The only real requirement mentioned at the time was self-closing door. I'll recheck.

o

The book is Online....FREE.......I left you a link.....Try this.....Click on the link

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

o

Old-F... I should have been clearer about what I said - my grandfather's house passed into others' hands many years ago and many, many miles away (now), and I seriously doubt the new people would have kept the DW in any case even if I were to have access, but it was a great old place at the time!

o

The other problem with a dumb waiter is that it is an open air shaft which is a fire hazard. You may need special closures to make it meet current safety standards. I run into similar problems when people want me to include laundry chutes when we are designing new wings for their houses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here