Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1840emmy

best paint to cover sheating

1840emmy
10 years ago

I'm seriously thinking of painting over the sheating in our old house instead of having it drywalled over and then painting it. I'd love to hear recommendations for paint that covers really well with one coat....as well as any recommendations for a primer, which I will probably need in at least one of the rooms, based on what I've seen when I ripped off part of the wallpaper.

I'm also reconsidering cabinetry: instead of tossing the old upper cabinets, which are installed reeeeeaaaally well, I am thinking of having new doors, with glass inserts, made instead. I'll need to strip off the dozen layers of paint on the original upper boxes, so would love to hear any recommendations anyone has for that.

The lowers are going to be replaced, they are in horrendous shape and will be replaced with all drawers, much more user-friendly. I will have a local cabinet maker make these so that he can match the base cabinets with the doors. I can't do that if I use IKEA or any ready-made stuff because the dimensions of those upper cabinets aren't made anymore so no door I could order would fit. This is fine, actually, since I love giving work to the local rcaftsmen:)

So, to recap, please share with me your recommendations for:

1. interior primer for 150+ year old sheating;
2. latex wall paint for same;
3. stripper for multiple layers of paint on cabinets;
4. while I'm at it, enamel for the trim.

Thanks so much!

Comments (4)