Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artesian79

This is a closet

artesian79
9 years ago

Family member just moved into old old house. I asked what I could send him to help out (think poor college student) and he said a closet rod. I asked him the dimensions of the closet and got this: the door is 30" and it goes back 6 feet. It's narrow and deep but is a walk in!

What?!

I don't want to spend the bucks for a track system. I'm thinking of two bars. One high and one low. I know they won't put a lot of thought into installation so easy is the key.

Would a 1.5" PVC front to back into flanges hold clothing that length? I'm thinking something high above the door on the side opposite the door's hinges. He wouldn't be able to use the whole space but surely that would be better than 30" across the door as a reach in closet?

And then perhaps a second low bar from back wall to 4ft then an elbow and short piece to flange into the side wall? Both top and bottom hanging bars to be about 12" off the wall?

I'm thinking that might give him about 10 inches to scoot down the wall of his walk in closet to get to some clothes.

Does this sound doable? Would conduit be better?

Help?

Comments (6)

• worthy
    9 years ago

I know they won't put a lot of thought into installation

So why put all that thought into how to do it? Buy them a rod and you're done. Would I want to reach over my head everytime I put a shirt in the closet? Don't think so!

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

In the rear they can put rods for out of season hanging, and then use the front for the daily stuff.

OR have a roll-out rack like this.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rolling-Adjustable-Garment-Rack/5995116

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Would a 1.5" PVC front to back into flanges hold clothing that length (6 feet)?

It would need at least two and probably three support brackets along the way.

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

Steel or wood closet rod from the Borg will be much less likely to sag than PVC. We did the high/low setup and it works great. Reaching slightly upward hasn't been a hardship, getting to the lower rod is less convenient, but my stuff isn't hung there.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

1" galvanized pipe makes a nice sturdy closet rod. 1 1/2" is getting pretty heavy for long runs, OD is about 1 3/4"
    Casey

• camlan
    9 years ago

If the house is old enough, they will be dealing with plaster walls, so that's another thing to take into consideration.

Can you find out if there is trim/molding/a flat piece of wood running along the closet walls at about closet rod height? If there is, the closet most likely had standard coat hooks, the ones with one large and one small hook, on the molding. Clothes would have been hung on hangers and two to three hangers per hook.

The best way to use this space is not the easiest. But I'll give you some ideas and you can go from there.

First, I'd put up a closet shelf along all three walls, slightly above head height, so things can be stored on the shelf, but those entering the closet won't bump their heads.

Then, along the 30" back wall, I'd put a double rod, for hanging shirts and pants that are folded over a hanger. That will give about 58-59" of hanging space,

Next, along one long wall, I'd install valet rods, preferably the ones that swing to one side, to make getting to the back of the closet easier. If those aren't possible, I'd get the ones that fold down. You'd need at least one that would allow for full-length hanging clothes, but the other could be doubled up, just like the rods at the far end. That would give you at least 5 valet rods, with about 9-10" of hanging space on each or at least 40" more of hanging space. If there is molding on the wall, the valet rods should be attached to it. If there isn't, I'd install that first.

Then, on the opposite long wall, I'd put a bunch of clothes hooks for things that get used a lot but don't need hangers--robes, hoodies, jackets, scarves, belts, anything else that can hang from a hook. You'd have at least 4 feet of space to work with, so they could have a lot of hooks along that wall.

Under the row of valet rods, you could put a row of baskets or a low shelf for shoes.

This would maximize use of the length of the space while still allowing enough room down the center of the closet to get to the stuff hanging on the back wall.