Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reddoor_gw

Sticky Shellac Problems

Reddoor
10 years ago

This is a x-post from another forum I frequent, but I know there are some people here that can give some good advice.

So I've been working on restoring a pine floor and yesterday I entered the final stage of putting on the shellac. I did 2 coats of Zinser Bullseye Amber with a production date of 09/10. They went on great. Easy to apply, dried quickly and very hard. I did the recommended light sanding between coats. I decided the color was a tad too dark so I decided to put on a coat of Zinser Clear Shellac (production date of 06/2013) this morning to lighten it up. After I strained it to get out the wax (seemingly unsuccessfully) and cut it with the denatured alcohol it looked a little strange. Unlike the amber shellac I mixed up it was pretty gooey. I stirred and stirred and it got a little better. I thought twice about throwing it away and trying out a different can, but stupidly went ahead. I could tell right away it wasn't going on in the same way and it looked like I could see some globs of wax on top of the floor. Well, the color is exactly what I wanted, but now 5 hours later it is still sticky!!! I thought for a second that it might be the warmer temps and higher humidity today so I cranked on the AC and 1 hour later it's only slightly less sticky. So, do I need to start all over to fix this? As in remove all the shellac on the floor with denatured alcohol and put on 2 or 3 more coats of new shellac? What if I put on one more coat of good shellac? Will that somehow fix the stickiness problem? And suppose having the AC on does help it dry completely, is it just going to get sticky every time it gets hot in the house? Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)