Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any suggestions for replacing swinging door hinges?

Posted by artemis78 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 15, 11 at 17:02

We need to replace the hinge for the swinging door in our 1915 house (PO tried to modify and broke the original hinge) and haven't had much luck finding a vintage part for it---wondering if anyone has any experience with the new hardware for swinging doors and would recommend a particular manufacturer or company. (Right now I'm looking at the versions that Historic Houseparts and House of Antique Hardware sell, but open to whatever we can find!) We are using the original door but not wedded to the original hinge dimensions---can adjust the cut in the door or floor accordingly if needed. Because it's the original door, though, it's quite heavy so I think we need hinges intended for heavier doors vs. lighter modern doors.

Would love any recs or advice from anyone who's tried this---thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any suggestions for replacing swinging door hinges?

The only swinging hinge style I _haven't_ run across on ebay (antiques/architectural/hardware category) is the one that mounts in the floor. That would be the hardest to replace; I guess they are always overlooked by the wreckers. The kind that is cut into the bottom corner of the door is easy; it's still being manufactured.
Casey

o

Thanks! Yep, sadly the floor-mount type is indeed the kind we have...ah well! :) One of the two hinges sold by HoAH is a pretty close match for the size, though, so we think it will be feasible to retrofit it to the door/floor by filling a section of the floor (and maybe the door too, though fingers crossed that the fit will be close enough there). We have a really crazy floor situation where it was actually mounted to the fir subfloor *before* the oak floor with inlay was laid around/on top of it---so it was quite a feat to get the door down to begin with (though the flip side of that is that I suspect it's why the door was still in the house at all---too much work for past owners to get it off!) I ordered that one to test out and see, but was curious to know if anyone had experience with it or any of the others (or good advice on retrofitting!)

o

BTW, just in case anyone with a similar problem finds this---the HoAH hinge turned out to be a near-perfect fit for our old floor-mount hinge, and we got the door re-hung with just a tiny bit of floor-filling and door-cutting. Practically perfect! The only glitch is that the modern hinge stop points are a few degrees too far for our door to reach, but luckily it has two---so it stops just shy of 90 degrees but doesn't reach whatever the next setting is. (Old hinge stopped at 105 or so, I think, and was a perfect fit for the space in the house.) But on balance, this was a great solution for retrofitting an old door and the hinge seems like solid quality.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here