Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preparing for gutters

Posted by rosesr4me (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 3, 10 at 16:34

I will be installing gutters on my 1936 Florida home in the next few weeks. I am re-painting the fascia - light sanding, priming with an adhesion primer, then 2 finish coats of latex. There are several minor areas (holes, joints)where caulking has been used and I would like to replace it with something more permanent. I get lots of rainfall and want to prevent rot as much as possible.

Would I dig out the caulk, and use something like Minwax wood hardener and performance wood filler? Or can I leave the caulk in the holes and then use the hardener and wood filler?

Or is there another method to repair minor damage to wood fascia that is more permanent than caulk?

Is there anything else I should do before the gutters get installed?

The wood fascia is nailed to the rafter ends - should I reinforce with ss screws also?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preparing for gutters

We just had a rather extraordinary gutter and roofing company put hooded gutters on our house and they actually formed and installed a metal wrap for our fascia boards in a painted sheet metal that matches the gutters, which match our trim paint. So when you look at it, you can't really tell that the fascia is actually sheet metal. Actually come to think of it they replaced the fascia boards too, because ours weren't high enough for the gutter size.

The wrap is open at the back toward the house wall, so if any water does get in, it can evaporate out.

If you don't feel like doing that :-) then there is a wood replacement product (maybe it's the hardener you're talking about) that we've used on some other rotted out bits of the house. Can't really answer whether to remove the caulk.

KarinL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here