Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
louver vent; does high density polyurethane hold up to birds???

Posted by jaansu (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 16:16

I have a decorative louver vent on the side of my home that has suffered the strangest attacks. Something has excavated several holes into the foam, ~ 2-3" across. Birds?? I can't imagine wasps doing this.

I'm not sure what this stuff is but it is a foam product and not heavy at all. It looks so bad now, I need to replace it but the best I can find online is high density polyurethane vents. The aluminum vents I have found are utilitalian, not decorative as I need. There is no actual wall vent there.

Anyone know of real wood decorative louver vents or perhaps of aluminum? Or know what to paint on the polyurethane vent to keep birds from pecking on it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: louver vent; does high density polyurethane hold up to birds?

Woodpeckers can hammer dents into sheet steel, and they will.

As part of their establishing a territory, they hammer on things at the boundaries of their territory ... and if it makes a nice loud sound, they will come back to it. Again and Again.

The poly will stand up better than the foam, and if the form is hollow on the back, make sure it's filled with foam insulation and mounted flush to the siding so it doesn't make attractive loud taps when a woodpecker drills on it.

o
RE: louver vent; does high density polyurethane hold up to birds?

It is almost certainly not woodpeckers - we would definitely hear that banging since my wife is at home all day. These are holes that could hold a small bird.
I decided to buy an aluminum replacement. They may dent it but they won't perforate it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here