Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

GardenWeb needs your feedback!

gwannouncements
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (7)

• dilettante_gw
    11 years ago

Great new! I have lots of ideas, but for starters, please consider adding the following new forums to the Home Forums site:

1) Fences and walls

2) Roofing, gutters, and chimneys (I know there's already a fireplaces forum, but this would cover the chimney itself.)

3) Green living (recycling, reuse, re-purposing, green materials, eliminating waste, lowering water consumption, disposing of things responsibly, etc. - everything but energy)

Thanks!

• Laurie
    11 years ago

As far as the forum usage is concerned:

a) PLEASE get rid of all the POPUP advertising!
    b) Putting yourself on Tap-a-Talk forum application for cell phones. I would love to be able to access this site while away from my main computer!

• sapphire6917
    11 years ago

I forgot just a couple in my last post! How about:

A link to "Active Topics". This would be a list of the last 50 or so posts, irrespective of the forum, so that we can see what is being talked about on all of the forums on one page.

A link at the bottom to go back to the top.

A forum on attics and possibly closets.

Looking forward to the updates!

• theresse
    11 years ago

Oooh, great! I used to have a list saved believe it or not (!) which I've lost but here are some that come to mind:

- a way to edit a post one's already posted (within a reasonable amount of time from having posted it)
    - a simple and easy and typical way to private-message another member
    - a simple and easy and typical history of all posts by any member - or at least all started threads, that doesn't expire...and that has a simple and easy and typical trail to an archived list of old posts if it can no longer be accessed currently
    - a less confusing way to do searches (if I'm not mistaken there are two search options, one of which doesn't really work...but it's been a while so I could be wrong - it was always very confusing as a newbie on this site)
    - a "stickies" area at the top of each forum
    - an off-topic area within each forum (e.g. for kitchens) so that people who've gotten to know each other within the kitchen forums can share something off-topic without feeling bad about it not being related to that topic.
    HTH! :)

• civ_IV_fan
    11 years ago

i agree with sappphire69, a link to 'active topics' would be very helpful. gardenweb has more subforums than any forum site i've ever seen, and most of us stick to one or two. if we could see what was happening, right now, across multiple forums in a single page, i think we'd 'get out a bit more' - it would be a great way to build the community. it may also liven up some fairly dead sub-forums.

• dreamgarden
    11 years ago

Please make it easier to report Spam links. A 'Report abuse' link at the top of every forum title would make this simpler.

Thanks!

Ditto on the suggestion for a 'Fences' thread.

• gwannouncements
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Tamara