Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
procrastination question

Posted by mjlb (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 16:02

Okay, my house is only 30 years old -- still a baby, but with maintenance. Which is not my forte. I procrastinated all summer and now we've had one frost warning. Is it too late to power wash the wood cladding on my house, and to stain woode deck railings and re-seal the wood deck floor? Would it be better to wait for spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: procrastination question

I would read the can of deck sealant and pay attention to the dry time and lowest temperature at which it can be applied.

o

Adding to what Graywings said, look at the specifications for several different stain and sealant products because they may prescribe different application temperatures. I know this is true for house paints. Generally, the wood should be dry, and the temperature should be 50 degrees F for at least 48 hours after applying. If you've already had a frost warning in your area, your nighttime temperatures are probably below 50 degrees.

I would also be concerned about the amount of moisture in the wood. You won't get good results if the moisture content in the wood is too high. The moisture content would probably be too high at this time of year.

At this point, I'd wait until late spring/early summer to tackle these projects. Make sure the wood is thoroughly dry and the pollen level is low. If you wait until summer, the pollen content would be lower, but you'd have to avoid times where the humidity is high and/or temperatures are over 90 degrees.

In sum, there really ISN'T a perfect time to take this on, so your procrastination is entirely justifiable.

Why not plant some bulbs? There's still time for that.

o

Just what the procrastinator wanted to hear -- Thanks, graywings and dilettante! I did at least get a quote, so I can ask them if they'll honor it in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here