Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
paint colors w/vinyl windows

Posted by wyominghill (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 15:54

Hi All,

Just bought this circa-1900 house. We plan on ripping off the vinyl siding and then either attempt to restore what is underneath, replace w/new wood siding, or replace w/fiber cement siding. We would like to add some nice detail (brackets, window trim, porch spandrels, etc) and paint it nice historic colors. The windows are all vinyl and I can't justify replacing them with wood since they are only 3 years old. So I'm looking for a color scheme that will not clash too much with the bright vinyl windows... anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: paint colors w/vinyl windows

Pale yellow siding, deep grey and white for trim?

Or pale blue-grey siding with white and deeper blue-grey trim.

If you keep the porch and some of the trim matching the windows it will look good.

o

I agree. A lot of the historic homes around here are a very light pastel yellow with white trim. Some are a sky blue on white color while a few are white with olive green trim.

o

Be bold and paint the porch ceiling light blue! See the wonderful job sarahandbray did.

o

Our home is brick, but you can easily work with the white windows. This is a picture of 1 of our windows with the trim painted a greeny-grey.
Don't be afraid to use color, as the white is quite forgiving.

o

When you paint the vinyl trim around the window, the white of the window itself really won't stand out all that much.

Don't know how historic it would be considered, but my "colonial" 2 story house is painted Glidden 'High Tea', a sagey green, trim, garage door and porch is Laura Ashley 'Bleached Wheat' a soft yellow-tan, shutters are a very dark, almost black green and the door, mailbox and house numbers are a dark cranberry. ( almost went with blueberry, would have looked nice too!) The windows are white vinyl.

Ten years on and I am still getting compliments from the neighbors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here