Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megatrack_gw

What is my house style, Need to replace front door

megatrack
16 years ago

I need to replace my front door and would like to keep the style of the house but what is the style?\\\

http://www.heritagehandyman.com/images/Newpaintedhouse.gif

THanks

AJ

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)

• johnmari
    16 years ago

Around here it would just be called a "mansard" after the type of roof it has - I know of several somewhat similar houses here - although the hipped top part of the roof is a tad peculiar (and that flared edge gives it almost a pagoda-esque look, very odd!). Normally it's darn near flat. The hipped top isn't totally unknown, though, here's a picture of another house with the same design. {{!gwi}} but still has similar elements - I think the chimney may be similar, too, but yours isn't in as sharp focus. I like how there's a distinct angle at the bottom of that house's mansard "wall", rather than a swoop, and the brackets are wonderful. The mansard roof is almost synonymous with Second Empire architecture in the USA. Most pictures you see of Second Empires show very fancy, large houses, but amusingly enough the mansard roof was a HUGE fad and it got plunked on top of all sorts of houses with all sorts of proportions, including this very simple, symmetrical square! (I'll bet it's two rooms front, two rooms back, center stair perhaps?) So really, it could well be considered a modest Second Empire cottage.

Do you have a rough construction date (I'm guessing 1850-1890?)? How about interior pictures? What do the interior doors look like? Those may almost be more helpful than anything else. Have you dug around in the cellar, attic, garage to see if there are any old doors stuck in there? Cruised the local roads to see if there are any other houses like yours from which you may steal stylistic cues? Is there a town historical society that may have photos, either of your house in earlier years or of similar houses of the same vintage?

(Why do some of the pages on your website keep coming up in Latin? And "howdy neighbor", I'm in SE NH :-) *wave*)

• jonnyp
    16 years ago

Megatrack,
    Looking at your picture this house is similar to a mansard but not. A mansard does not have a hip roof (4 sides as compared to 2). As far as johnmari guess at circa 1850-1890, no way. Up until 1930's most houses built had center chimneys at least in greater Boston.Your house, from the picture has 2 chimneys on outside walls,the foundation is field stone, this house was probably built over time and not by a pro. The telltale sign is the lack of symmetry of the lower windows in comparison to the front door and to the
    upper windows. Still I like it. My advice to you. lose that cheesy storm door and use your imagination. There is a ton of different vendors out with great designs that would fit your house perfectly. This consider by the IRS as energy improvementand your allowed a $500.00 ded.

• megatrack
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks,
    I changed the front door, removed the storm door and removed the fake shutters, I think it looks much better,
    I will post pic tomorow
    Thanks
    AJ

• sombreuil_mongrel
    16 years ago

Excuse my , jonnyp, what constitutes a proper mansard roof in your mind? This house clearly has a mansard roof. The capping hip roof is steeper than one would expect, but it is still a mansard style, nonetheless.
    Casey

• calliope
    16 years ago

I also think it would be a mansard roof. The second story windows are gabled out of the first level of roof and the upper roof, though quite steep for the cap roof still shows this to be a dual, mansard roof. Maybe not in the most pure sense, but closer to that than a hip roof.(And that's what I thought it was until I noticed that the whole upper floor is under roof and not siding.

The thing about architecture is that builders didn't always hold true to the purest definition of styles. I have a home built toward the end of the Federal period. It hasn't been modified on the exterior at all, save the addition of stucco over the bricks for preservation by previous owners, starting nearly a century ago.

My house has most of the ear marks of true Federal Style, but deviates in some respects especially in regard to the main entrance. But, it hasn't been altered, that's the way it was really built and has always been. Whomever built it didn't read the book, I guess. LOL.

But I also agree with JohnnyP, I think this house has been altered, a bit at a time, through the years. The window placement suggests it. It's an attractive home and pretty unique. I like it.

• jonnyp
    16 years ago

Casey,
    I stand corrected here is a wiki link to the definition of a mansard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansard_roof and a gambrel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambrel. The styles are similar but different. You may note that the gambrel link has a link to mansard roof.

• megatrack
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is the the after pic. I also made a nicer top over the door, and removed the piece of wood from below thw door and install clapboard. I think the door looks higher and at least is the same height as the windows.

Please let me know whatyou think,
    Next spring I intend to put on some corbel on the cornice.
    Thanks AJ

Here is a link that might be useful: pic of :After the door installation

• megatrack
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry here is the pic.

• megatrack
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Now I look stupid.
    The last link doesn't work either, I tried to find a way to edit my post but it seems impossible.

HERE IS THE RIGHT LINK:http://www.heritagehandyman.com/images/P1010129.JPG