Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window latches for uneven windows

Posted by lsimms (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 15:35

I just finished attempting to install window latches which required much inelegant tinkering to get them to work (shimming one side.) The hardware is elegant, but the installation looks shoddy.

The rest of my victorian house has unusual window latches that work perfectly for uneven windows. Couldn't find them for years. They have a screw type of closure and I've discovered today that they're called Brighton Sash Fasteners. Some of my windows are very uneven, as much as 1/4" (or more.) These latches squeeze the windows as tight as they'll ever get.

I couldn't find a supplier in the US, but I didn't scour the Net. I ordered them from England (EBay), where they're almost a standard latch.

This solves a perennial problem for me and I thought I'd share it with you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window latches for uneven windows

Five minutes ago I didn't know about Brighton Sash Fasteners. Now I want them on all my windows.

o

These work quite well for doublehung windows. Even if they are a bit skewed.

o

House I grew up in was built in 1920 by my father. All the windows had these latches.

o

Are these latches unusual? I've never lived in an older house here in Rochester NY that didn't have them on the double-hung windows. Go figure!

o

Gads...you just saved me a long search and I didn't even know what to look for. Those will certainly work for any window I have.

Even better, if it can get better, Amazon carries them. With shipping calculated into the price they are about $5 each.

Thanks for taking the time to share the info. Sometimes the best and most unique items come from the UK. I didn't run a search

Here is a link that might be useful: Brighton Sash Fasteners

o

OH! Now I get it. I thought that the pic that lazygardens posted was the Brighton fastener. I didn't read closely enough, I guess.

Yeah, I've never seen the Brighton fasteners before, but Google turns up a whole lot of resources.

o

Well, I'm delighted that I could solve some problems. These latches are, yes, perfect for uneven windows. The ones I got from England are quite a bit "weightier" than my demure latches on the lower floors. They'll be a little bit of eye candy on the third floor.

o

Here is a photo of the Brighton:

Here is a link that might be useful: Brighton sash latch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here