Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweat on he outside wall where there is insulation

Posted by charlesmartorelli (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 15:05

Hi
I live in a early 50's stucco house in the San Francisco Bay area. I have insulated two of the bedrooms. I notice in the early mornings the outside Stucco walls are wet where I have insulated compared to the rooms I have not insulated. There are no signs of problems inside or outside the house and it has been like this for a few years. I don't think ( or hope) this is a problem but I am searching for a explanation.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweat on he outside wall where there is insulation

For the same reason dew forms. The insulated wall is limiting the conduction of indoor heat the exterior surface. So now the wall is colder than the dewpoint of the exterior air. Your insulation is working.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here