Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plaster + 70's stuff + Drywall Mess

Posted by zaneaudrey (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 5, 11 at 15:02

We live in a house built in 1941. We recently remodeled one of the bathrooms. We took out a nasty old 70's brown tub and replaced it with a new cast iron one, but in putting the new tub in we were forced to rip out a small section of the (warped) wall to fit the new tub in. We are now trying to fix the wall to look like the rest of the bathroom. When we ripped out the wall, we found layers of nastiness-- including several layers of linoleum-looking faux-"tile" sheets. The rest of the bathroom (and the rest of the house) is nice plaster with wood lathe, and we'd like to match this wall as closely as possible to the rest of the bathroom and rest of the house. We have bare drywall on it at the moment. Any suggestions on how to texture it to match the rest of the bathroom? It's a fine, fairly rounded texture.

(We tried to use a spray-on texture from a can and it really didn't work... but thankfully it scrapes off easily!)

This is a small section of wall (maybe 4 x 8 ft).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plaster + 70's stuff + Drywall Mess

Basically I am wondering if we can use a thin coat of veneer plaster on the drywall, and if so, how do we get the rounded texture?

o
RE: Plaster + 70's stuff + Drywall Mess

IF it's the rounded texture I'm thinking of.......a pic would help greatly.......it was done free handed by skilled artist from Italy. It was a way to hide the dips and scars in the wall.
I'm not sure how you'd recreate that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here