Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to know what home repairs might be needed by house age

Posted by dreamgarden (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 14:27

We have a house built in the early 50's. I have lived in one built in 1900 as well as one that was under 10 yrs old. DH spent several years in a house built in the mid 1800's. There was LOTS of renovation to be done on that one! ;)

What problems have you discovered in the old house you bought?

Here is an article written by a previous home inspector who said the following about old houses. Do any of these issues ring a bell with you?

"As long as there have been homes, there have been home repairs. If you know the age of your home however, problems common to homes built in that era that can be avoided.

While home construction has changed quite dramatically over the years, every era of home construction had its strengths and weaknesses. For example, old homes offer character and charm that is rarely reproduced in modern construction. But, old homes are also drafty and leaky. Newer homes might offer energy efficiency but they go up so quickly that workmanship often falls by the wayside. Any way you look at it, the home repairs add up........!"

A link that might be useful:

www.moneypit.com/article/home-repairs-tips-cabinet-hardware-furnaces-money-pit

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to know what home repairs might be needed by house age

I think one thing you could expect to replace in some midcentury homes is the sewer line if it has "Orangeburg" bituminous fiber pipe. In my area, at least, those installed in the 50s are on their last legs.

My neighbors are getting group buys on replacements. :)

o
RE: How to know what home repairs might be needed by house age

If you know the age of your home however, problems common to homes built in that era that can be avoided.

Not 100% true ... you also have to know when all the updates and remodels were done, and if they were done to code with permits or if they were "off the books". You have to know what the applicable bu7ilding codes were in the house's location. And you have to know what the local building practices were for certain materials.

About the only thing you can really say is that houses built after __19XX__ are unlikely to have lead paint or asbestos.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here