Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old attic insulation looks like laundry soap ???

Posted by napagirl (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 26, 11 at 14:26

Need help identifying what this is - hope it's not hazardous!

We just discovered that our 1953 California rental house has some kind of white granular insulation between some of the ceiling joists. Most of the insulation is old fiberglass batts. But in some places the batts were removed and replaced with this substance. It totally reminds me of white powered laundry soap, only much lighter and very white. It was not blown in, but poured into each bay. A previous owner must have done it sometime between 1953 and 1970. I've done some research and it is not vermiculite, which sometimes may contain asbestos.

We want to add more insulation, but at this point we're not sure whether it will be DIY fiberglass batts, or blown in fiberglass. The white substance covers approx 200 sf at the far end of the 900 sf attic. I'd really like to know what it is, if its hazardous, and if it should, or could, be removed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old attic insulation looks like laundry soap ???

Hi. It sounds like perlite to me. If the prior owner had any relationship with the masonary industry, it is even more likely, as perlite was commonly used to fill the cores of cement blocks. You can google it to find photos/info. I believe I've read that it is not hazardous, but I'd certainly spend a few buck to have it tested.
Good luck.

o

it is a glass frit formed by heating the raw material until the water in it increase the volume by many times.

It is stable and non flammable, and can act as insulation.

o

Although not containing asbestos like vermiculite sometimes does, perlite is also very dusty and the dust can cause breathing problems if you inhale much of it. Dust masks are advisable if you have to interact with it much.

L.

o

Thanks for all your responses. Since its at the far end of the attic over the bedrooms I think we'll just leave it. DH did try to burn some of it with negative results, so that's good!

o

My 1912 bungalow had gypsum powder poured between the attic joist as "insulation". Although the empty bags were still in the attic, I still had it tested to verify. The gypsum was dumped in up to the depth of the joist. It did not create any issues until you add to do maintenance in the attic. What a PITA to deal with.

I finally had it dealing with this stuff when I had to do some ceiling repair. I paid an insulation company a few hundred bucks to come out with their industrial vacuum and suck the stuff out. I am happy the is gone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here