Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
concrete question

Posted by blackcats13 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 5, 08 at 13:34

I really am not sure what board is the best for this question ... feel free to direct me elsewhere.

In Chicago most houses have a sidewalk from the front of the property to the back against the side of the house. We need to regrade that side of the house, so we are thinking of cutting the concrete into regular shapes to use for the garden, regrading, then putting in stepping stones or something so there is more ground to soak up rain (we didn't suffer too bad with the heavy rains last month, but we did leak and have to take care of it).

The question - how hard is it to cut that concrete? I think we can rent a saw and blade...? How much does that usually cost? Maybe it would be better to see if someone would take on such a small job? Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: concrete question

We are in a bungalow in Oak Park and have just had our same sidewalk taken out. We found a 2nd, the original sidewalk, below the first one. In total there was about 8" of concrete. We had the sidewalk removed because it's part of a bigger fix, stabilizing our front porch. And the porch needed to be stabilized because of too much water in clay soil over the last 90 years. Our project has involved us using a structural engineer.

I wanted to leave the sidewalk out forever, and do exactly what you proposed with stepping stones. Our structural engineer said "don't", the reason being that our bungalows are so close together, and our soil so heavy with clay, that a new sidewalk will help to keep water away from the foundation. He said stepping stones would do exactly the opposite of what we need because of the soil composition.

I'm guessing, but I think you should be able to find a concrete company who will break it up and remove it for $500 or so....that is if you only have 1 sidewalk. I can recommend who we used in a PM, if you wish.

We also had a small amount of water during the last huge rains. We'll be going together with 2 neighbors next spring to see if we can get a discount with purchasing sump pumps and having our basements perma sealed.

o

2 sidewalks!?!? Man, I'd expect 2+ kitchen floors, but not sidewalks! That would suck! Interesting point about needing the concrete though. Since we need a structural engineer for a different reason maybe we should ask about that too. We are close to the neighbors but not as close as some. I'd actually love a recommendation for the structural engineer if you can give it ;) Thanks!

o

My 2 cents worth: a concrete cutter is scary. (And I play, er, work, with power tools all day.) Let somebody else do it. Plus, they'll probably have a big truck to haul the scraps you don't want.

o

I'd like to email you privately...what address?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here